Flying the P92RG

Paul Willett

Lindsay

hey thanks for your test, you are wonderful pople all of you, this unbiased information is gold to any new/pilot prospective purchaser!! I am now convinced the average difference is 7 knots between the RG and the fixed gear version. The 124 vs. 113 they claim on website is a little rich. BTW - How come you get to go flying on such a wonderful day...I am very jealous.

I will see you in the skies (not too close up - obviously) in my tecnam soon. I have decided to go the RG model as long distance cruising is what I want to do...

Now to find a good second hand one else I will buy new.

Cheers all tim

No worries Tim. Get to fly early as I'm a shift worker. Start work at 3pm. BTW if I were purchasing a Tecnam I'd go for the later model laminar wing as on the Sierra and Super Echo. It certainly is faster than the earlier variants. High/low wing is a personal choice. Not much difference really in my opinion. We found Bruce Stark the NSW/QLD Tecnam dealer extremely good to deal with. Good Luck.

Lindsay

Guest pelorus32

Hi Lindsay/Tim,

The older wing is on the P96 Golf and the P92 Echo series (low and high wing respectively). The newer tapered wing is on the P2002 Sierra and the P2004 Bravo (low and high wing respectively). In addition the Bravo is a cantilever wing.

I don't know the numbers on the Bravo but it may be the pick of the aircraft - I would guess that it's faster than the P92 and yet has the robustness of fixed gear...don't know about price.

Also interesting to note that 50 knot stall speed. My experience is that the clean 1g stall speed on the P92 at MTOW is at least 50 knots. Pilot beware.

Regards

Mike

This stall speed thing is facinating - the website in quotes 40kts clean at 1g at MTOW. I flew one (for about 30mins only)and remeber this being true as we threw a few stalls in and I also remember being instructed to approach at 55kts. Mind you we had full flaps..... What gives? This sounds a little scary....

Just catching up with this thread tonight on the doggo shift (yawn) as we prepare for another foggy morning at Brisbane airport.

I will answer in more detail some of Tims and others questions tomorrow, but the stall speeds are closer to the book figures in my experience 34 flap /40 clean (power off)

Guest pelorus32

Hi Paul,

There could be a couple of issues here. First is I am sure of my numbers as far as the instruments and MTOW are concerned. I'd just gone through this exercise for another reason (see the thread on stalling in Training section) and we were certainly at MTOW with two big blokes and full tanks.

The other is that there may be instrument error - but 10 knots sounds a lot. This also isn't an isolated example we've also had higher figures in turns than you'd expect.

BTW Tim flapped stalls are at lower speeds so don't worry too much - I use the same approach speeds as you are taught.

Regards

Mike

With such a low BEW the ZFW and Operating weight of the day are going to make a difference to the stall speed - however the book figures should be quoted at MTOW (544kg).

Personally I have not seen as much variation in pitot/static systems on the Tecnams as has been suggested here.

My own view is if you are flying your own aircraft, or one particular aircraft mainly, get to know it - and you will.

I am confident I know what to expect from my Tecnam and the safe envelope to fly it in. And to be honest, the figures from the Flight Manual are pretty much spot on.

My approach is 60 Knots until about 50 FT, I will slow to 55KN from there in benign conditions if I need to. If conducting a full flap approach (rare for me at my 800m home strip which alway has a crosswind) the speed washes off very quickly just after touching down, so the extra 5KN in the air will not make huge difference to your landing distance in the full flap configuration.

VLo is 70KN in th RG and Vfe is 60KN.

• Winner 1

• 9 years later...

A different question line re this aircraft. I occasionally fly one and wish to do a 4 hour trip across ocean. I am obviously doing a lot of planning for this and one thing that has come up is air compressor failure. Has anyone experienced this? If so, what happened? Did the gear stay up or go down? If the gear came down even partially, it would have a significant impact on my endurance especially around PNR.

A different question line re this aircraft. I occasionally fly one and wish to do a 4 hour trip across ocean. I am obviously doing a lot of planning for this and one thing that has come up is air compressor failure. Has anyone experienced this? If so, what happened? Did the gear stay up or go down? If the gear came down even partially, it would have a significant impact on my endurance especially around PNR.

I will do a flight and simulate a failure by pulling the CB (at 65 kn) I'll get back with the results in the next few weeks.

Hi there,

I am flying a tecnam p92 light with 80 horsepowers.

My prop is a german two blade Helix (Carbon fibre)

I travel with 5000 r 180km/h wich is about. 97 knots.

With. 4800 r. 170km/h. Wich is about 91 knots

Greetings from the other side of the globe, Germany

Antonius

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
At 4800 RPM I am usually getting around 102-105 knots on a good day... Thats using around 18 L/per hour. Most of the time I like to cruise at around 4600 RPM which leaves me at about a happy 100 knots on a 16 L/per hour. Hope this helps.

I am amazed at all the performance claims (???)  and you are the only one to quote a fuel consumption figure. 

18 L/h at 102- 0105 knots is a lot of juice for not much forward progress.

My Zephyr/912 ULS, ground adjustable 2 blade Fiti prop, set for advantage take off,  would be up around 120 knots + at this fuel burn. I flight plan at 14 L/h @ 100 knots and routinely see whole of sortie consummations below 13L/hr.

• 1 year later...