Interested in hummerchute

Morning Graeme, yes and no, machine arrived in Australia just before christmas but have not had a chance to get to Melbourne to pick it . Looked at freighting it home but because of its size, just wider than a standard pallet and 2 long, freight companys want more than I want to pay to get it here. January is a busy month so hope to make it south, weather permitting in February. As you can see she is Laura Palmered in Melbourne. Have you finished your build.

Tim

678847540_20121221_174333(3).jpg.65c001867429bcb2c1b75b5ffc71578e.jpg

• 1 month later...

Have just been flying in Melbourne, had 3 days of perfect weather. Got to go in both a Steel Breeze and the Summit, both machines are fitting with elliptical wings. I was surprised how good the preformance was with both machines, very stable, good climb rate with two up . The Steel Breeze in the flesh is much bigger and robust then it appears in photos, also welds and finish are of a very high quality. My Steel Breeze is on its way North now, looking forward to putting it together and getting the ball rolling. Found a freight company in Melbourne that went out of their way to help me and at a good price, guess it pays to look around.

Tim

• Like 2

Have just been flying in Melbourne, had 3 days of perfect weather. Got to go in both a Steel Breeze and the Summit, both machines are fitting with elliptical wings. I was surprised how good the preformance was with both machines, very stable, good climb rate with two up . The Steel Breeze in the flesh is much bigger and robust then it appears in photos, also welds and finish are of a very high quality. My Steel Breeze is on its way North now, looking forward to putting it together and getting the ball rolling. Found a freight company in Melbourne that went out of their way to help me and at a good price, guess it pays to look around.Tim

I'd be interested in an update once you have flown a bit, these look an interesting machine. Also what is the major difference in the rectangular vs elliptical wings - speed / manoeuvrability / safety?

Morning Gnarly Gnu

First I must point out that I am a 0 hour Powered Parachute pilot, but have been following them for a number of years as a tool for mustering, now out of the cattle game, just want to fly for fun. From what I can gather and seeing both wings in action at Melbourne the other day the box will be slower in staight speed and a little slower to respond from inputs, over all more docile. Safety, always felt this had a lot to do with who was in command, again from someone who is on no hours, the ground work looks a little harder to get the wing setteled above you but once airbourne safety will be simular with both types. Others with more experience may have differant pionts of veiw which would be good to hear. Once I start to build will try and put some photos up, will be a while before I can get a licence done.

Cheers Tim

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice Timbgy! Is the second seat the fuel tank or something?

Can't work out why they don't make these things four wheelers, so much more stable on take off which I understand is the critical phase. Didn't take them long to figure out ATV's with three wheels were dangerous, now everything is quad. If anyone knows the reasoning behind the three wheels on PPC's I would be interested to hear, maybe I'm missing something obvious.

Morning GG, yes back seat is the fuel tank. Have had a few question this set up, ( regarding sitting on a roto molded fuel tank ) I have then asked do you ride a quad, answer yes, whats the tank made from, end of concern. You are not wrong about the old 3 wheeled ATV's, deadly. Could be tradition, not many 4 wheeled aircraft about, less drag, better visibility from the front seat, who knows. Will post some more photos as I go, the back wheels are not the right ones have tundr's to go on eventualy.

Cheers Tim

Hello Frank, my knowledge of PPC's is quite limited but I understand there are some significant differences to conventional aircraft and stability in the take-off phase is the most dangerous issue (where four wheels - with steering - would help most) and must always be directly into the wind, same as with landings. So I don't think you are going to be doing cross wind landings except in a very low breeze perhaps and of course the roll is quite minimal.

Yep 3 wheelers can pose a bit of a problem mainly on take of, if you dont have have your chute deployed right over your head and you give it full revs on take off,you will roll it.Timbgy

that looks like a nice solid outfit you got there,mainframe all welded.I would be more worried with a Summit if one rolls one as they are only pop riveted together,and I have heard stories of bent tubes and big dollar repairs with them.Hope you have lots of fun with your newy looks good.

Yes Fred one reason I went with the Steel Breeze was because of its welded moly frame. Years of mustering in basalt country on 4 wheelers and not major frame damage makes me feel a little safter if I have to put it down in tiger country, hope I never have to try it out.

Cheers Tim

• 4 weeks later...

Have been waiting on a couple of parts from the States which have arrived so have done a little more, nearly ready to weigh and a engine to run in.

1612840557_IMG_0607(640x478).jpg.09a5be4705b4a47dbeea8d5fb9124fb1.jpg

1389148054_IMG_0605(478x640).jpg.9528acc992b7ad7173c9afe9c99fc090.jpg

726431881_IMG_0606(640x478).jpg.4160cad167a190f3a1c71fead17a0c9e.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Nashy, the next steps may take a while to get it registered etc, still to get my licence so there is no rush. Will be had with it sitting in the shed ready to go though.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks good, tandem seating must be a little less draggy than side by side and the frame is virtually a protection cage, would improve safety in a less than optimal arrival, (not that it would happen of course) nice colours too

Thanks GG, the change at the top may help, time will tell.

Deskpilot, yes it is a GSC 64 inch wooden prop and is ground adjustable, running it at 12.5 degrees at the moment and I am getting 6300 rpm tops on the ground. From what I can find out this about right and will get some more rpm once air bourne.

paulh hope I never have to test out the frame work. The other good thing about the tandem setup is we do not have to worry about CofG, either one up or two and fuel etc.

Cheers Tim

• 5 months later...

Have eventually got about 10 hours on the Steel Breeze. Some minor adjustments of the riser positions (from factor setting ) to get straight flight, using 52" and 48" risers. Climb is good with 1 bum (90kg), full fuel (45ltrs) and nil wind about 500 fpm with a box 500 wing, can cruise level at 4950 rpm (582 blue head),GSC prop set at 13 degrees, burning around 12 lph. It has made me a much better weather reader in a very short time.

Will try and add a couple of short you tube clips, not much and quality is not very good. Best in full screen.

Cheers Tim

• Like 1

Thanks Nashy, good to see some more in the country. I hit the wrong key in the previous post, fuel burn should be 15 lph , will go up once I start taking passengers.

Cheers

Tim

• 1 year later...
Hi All, Am new to this forum and new to powered chutes. I live in North Queensland and feel the Hummerchute may be better up here with our heat etc. Has anyone flown both the 503 and the 582 from Aerochute .

I live in Atherton and own a Hummerchute. I have flown both i would recommend the Hummervhute for NTH QLD

• Informative 1