Gyrocopter Crash

Sunday July 1, 01:55 PM

One dead in Tasmania gyrocopter crash

A person has died and another has been severely burnt in a gyrocopter crash in Tasmania's north.

Paramedics were called to a private airstrip near Mount Direction, north of Launceston, about 10.40am (AEST) Sunday.

One person died at the scene and a man, believed to be a flying instructor, was taken to hospital in Launceston suffering severe burns to his whole body.

The crash happened on the flat grass airstrip of the Cranbourn property, an ambulance spokesman said.

"The gyrocopter has basically exploded into flames," he said.

It is not known whether the gyrocopter was taking off or landing.

Details about the victim were unavailable.

Further details about the survivor were also unavailable.

But, he was conscious while being take to hospital, the spokesman said.049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

Guest David C

Yet another sad day ... My sympathy and condolences go out to the bereaved family . Lets hope the injured person makes a full and swift recovery .

Dave C

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, Sadly the second occupant involved in this accident has passed away. I have cut and pasted some info from rotocraft.com.au.

Rob

Re: Tassie gyro crash ??????????

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2007, 01:25:00 AM »

Gentlemen,

Sorry to inform you that Geoff Jamieson passed away on the 7th hour of the 7/7/2007. His son Jade was with his father at the time. Many of us in the gyro fraternity here in Tassie have watched Jade grow into a fine young man, at 17 yrs. Often present at the airfield, when Geoff was training. His Grandfather, Keith and Geoff were like best mates and Geoffs passion for gyros grew from Keith's and together they embarked on a journey that would see Keith learn his trade at manufacturing wooden bensen blades building their own rotor heads and props including whole aircraft. A journey from glider to powered flight. Geoff was 16 when that love affair with gyros began.

Geoff's funeral service is this comming Thursday 12th July at St Mary's Church in Penquin, Tasmania at 2pm. Followed by the laying to rest at a location near by.

The Advocate and Examiner News Papers will both be running articles on Geoff and his historically significant journey through the sport of gyroplanes here in Tasmania.

With the deaths of two of our fellow gyro enthusiasts, we are all no doubt shocked and saddened by what has transpired, none more than those of us here on the 'Island' that new these blokes.

Obviously there will be lots more 'inquiring' but I will share this with you because the student pilot's 'son in law' was said to have offered pictures to those at the funeral who, felt the need to look. These pictures were of the accident site. Further, this Gentleman alledgedly , publicly stated that the deceased student had told the instructor to ...'leave me, I'm stuffed' or words to that effect. And that Geoff had tried to get the student out of the burning wreck. The burns Geoff sustained appear to support this information. Emergency Service were first of the 'officials' to arrive, this may be the source of this information.

Even though my student mate has been 'put to rest' I'm not sure if he has been named publicly at this time, so I withhold this for the time being. I intend to speak with his 'life partner' tomorrow/today to share with her how much he had come to mean to many of us in such a short period of time.

The blokes who knew Geoff, know how staunch the bloke was, fit, strong, his lifesaving background and no doubt put himself in harms way to try and save his student.....his fellow human being. It's a sad time for all the family members, though I hear and feel the strong support from both families for the passion and desire of these to men to be gyro aviators.

Fly Safe Fella's.

Mitch

Guest disperse

to give of your own so as to save another........is the measure of a truly selfless man and the trueist of friends...

GOOD ON YA GEOFF and all the best for your faimily