Just kicked out of Rec Flying

David Isaac

I just typed in theaussieaviator.net.au & yes went straight to "that other site". This is SO WRONG! It's one thing to have the registration, although I don't agree it is really, but it is another thing to use those site names to redirect traffic to another competing site. It must border on being criminal, well to me anyway.I'll chuck in $100 as well MC.

Ive just checked and yep sure enough he has purchased 'theaussieaviator.net.au' AND 'theaussieaviator.com' which both redirect to the other place...

RA-Aus owns them.

Don... Recreationalaviation.com.au is not owned by RAAus... http://www.who.is/whois/recreationalaviation.com.au/

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did ring up the trademark mob a few years ago. It was either $700 to register the name and I think they send out a letter to him informing of trademark breach.

I don't think you even need to have a registered trademark. The Aussie Aviator is clearly a brand name belonging to your business and the other name was clearly registered by a competing business after you started this site. I think that if you lodge a complaint with auDA directly it won't cost you much, if any, and they will take action.

That's how it is supposed to work anyway...

Guest Michael Coates

How much, i sold them some sites i had brought to protect from others at cost price eg natfly.com.au and .net.au .... eg $16 or whatever the cost was to register and a few dollars for the hosting ??

He should not be selling for a profit ! but also its partly the RAA fault cause when i registered natfly i rang them first and said someone was buying up domains and they said they were not interested in the natfly name.... 2 years later i was the worst in the world for buying them to protect.

RA-Aus is buying them from him?

That's retarded. It is simply not allowed to register Australian domains using someone else's name or trademark (registered or otherwise). A complaint to auDA should free them up.

Michael did the right thing in just transferring them at cost.

Geez the sewage just gets deeper, I discovered the squatting on the TAA links by accident and remember some of the discussion about www.natfly etc, which as usual was used to heap insults on Michael's head. Interesting to read elsewhere that his tactics never varied, I was taken to task for mentioning the unmentionable name and when I responded saying that I'd only found him helpful was immediately telephoned and when I declined to take the call, bombarded with PM's ( not emails) making all manner of accusations.

Guest Michael Coates

The story goes as follows...... About two years ago I heard and saw that a large number of aviation websites were being brought up including many of the websites belonging to ourselves (X-AIR, XCOM, MCP) in different configurations like .net.au I then heard that he had his eyes on Natfly Ozkosk, Auskosh etc...

I called the RAA and they basically said they were not interested in getting the name themselves so I went ahead and registered the Natfly address, even put up a basic website with information and dates for the coming years, some pictures of the event etc etc there was no mention of my name on the website to keep it impartial...

The RAA some two years later then make contact through Steve Runciman after a certain person started pointing fingers at me saying that I did this in an attempt to bring the RAA down etc etc, absolute rubbish because I only ever considered the purchase of the websites in a custodial position until the RAA saw their value. The websites were offered to the RAA at cost price which I think was $16 for the domain registration for two years and $25 for the hosting, from memory the bill was less than $100. They were transferred over at the first opportunity to the RAA with the Natfly trademark.

I have just been told by another forum member that he is selling or has sold the website addresses for $2500 ! apparently, there is some cock and bull story that he brought them off somebody else and that is how much he paid ? A very unsavoury person who is quick to point the finger at other people for allegedly doing something wrong which is exactly what he does.

They talk about don't throw stones in glass houses or something like that and this is the perfect example of things coming back to bite you in the bum.