DIPSTICK ALERT

cficare

Guest BlackRod

I can assure you Steve Bell pulled out a few tufts over that one (and some from his own head :)).

I've asked that people who write articles in SportPilot have a few words saying who they are so we can get some idea of how qualified they are to write what they've written.

Honestly, it should not make any difference IMO.No body should be touching any aircraft with out getting the right information IAW the aircraft and engine maintenance manual. Having said that.The information should have vetted for correct information.

I still wonder whether poor editing, either by the author himself, or the magazine editors wasn't responsible for that one - as was previously pointed out the Jab dipstick markings are such that it is possible to read the oil level with the cap resting on the top of the thread, IF you understand the markings on the stick. Not advisable I don't think, but certainly possible and any number of instructors do show students this "trick".

Personally I don't think that detailed technical advice belongs in the magazine, more general articles that raise points for further discussion are more appropriate, it's too easy for pilots to misinterpret what they read.

Edit; What's with the "new member" BS? Just because I don't suffer from verbal diarrhoea like some I could mention:)

7 October 2011:Technical Manager's comment on 'Dipstick' article in October, 2011 Sport Pilot

1. I didn't see this article before it was printed.

2. The article has some errors. Checking the oil in an engine must be performed strictly to the engine manufacturer's instructions:

3. For Jabiru engines, the dipstick must be pushed right down into the LOCK position to determine the oil level, and other engines are similar.

4. Always use the manufacturer's instructions.

5. Having too much oil in an engine can cause real problems, and can cause seal failure and major leaks.

6. Some engines use the method outlined in the article, but in my experience this is rare.

[*]Please disregard Mr Johnson's comments and use the manufacturer's instructions.

Steve Bell, Technical manager

Guest BlackRod

Procedures have now been agreed with the new Editor, Brian Bigg, that no technical article will find its way into the magazine without the Tech Manager having given his specific approval first.