Old Photo In My Collection

red750

I was going through some old slides to scan into digital, and came across this photo of VH-ULA, a Stits Flut-R-Bug, According to the link below, "This machine is credited with starting post war amateur-built aviation in Australia."

I thought this might be of interest, or even trigger a few memories.

http://www.edcoatescollection.com/ac1/austmz/VH-ULA.html

285453313_VH-ULAYMMB19681114.thumb.jpg.22847fc800bad4f687bb48db66f48c99.jpg

Hi Michael,

Eddie Coates doesn't happen to be a relative, does he? He emigrated to the US around the end of the 50's and is now living in Raleigh, North Carolina. I contacted him by email yesterday.

I was going through some old slides to scan into digital, and came across this photo of VH-ULA, a Stits Flut-R-Bug, According to the link below, "This machine is credited with starting post war amateur-built aviation in Australia."I thought this might be of interest, or even trigger a few memories.

http://www.edcoatescollection.com/ac1/austmz/VH-ULA.html

geez mate your pretty quick ,,was having a look through your pics and you've got the eurofox 7772 pics already,,,it hasn't been here that long,,I've been putting a few hours on it ,have you flown it at all yet, it's a real treat!

Hi Metalman,

Unfortunately I haven't flown anything for 25 years. Doubt I'd pass the physical for a GA ticket again, and although I drive a car, I don't think there are many RA aircraft that could carry an instructor and my 145kg frame off the ground (unless it only had a cup of fuel in it). And the age pension kinda puts flying out of my range. I will just fly my camera - at least it's paid for. As for the Eurofox, right place right time, I guess.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Great you had those photo's to post up of the Flur-R-Bug. At one stage both resided at Casey airfield and I have flown both of them. I cannot recall which way around it was

but one was owned by Sanda Veenstra and the other by Steve Chapman. They were fun to fly but mind numbingly noisey, no-one wore headsets in those days.

My Luton Minor was VH-ULL.

• 5 years later...

Just to clarify.. Steve Chapman owned VH-ULA back through the 80's (including a trip to Adelaide.. that took us 2 days)

I flew with Steve many times when it was housed at Casey .. His other plane.. VH-BCG was then housed at Tyab and used as a tug.

• Like 1

I was going through some old slides to scan into digital, and came across this photo of VH-ULA, a Stits Flut-R-Bug, According to the link below, "This machine is credited with starting post war amateur-built aviation in Australia."I thought this might be of interest, or even trigger a few memories.

VH-ULA

Ah, so that's what it was! Yonks ago a bunch of us were at Narrabri airport for an aerial search training session.

This strange little aeroplane arrived and out climbed dad and his young son. They had the wing spar between their tandem seats, kid in front. After refuelling, the little bloke was very reluctant to get back in; given the stormy weather they were headed for, I couldn't blame him.