Toowoomba Next Weekend 4/5 May

Guest aviatrix27

Guest aviatrix27

If anyone feels like going for a fly next weekend, I will be at a fly-in at Toowoomba, and am staying in my tent in mnewbery's back yard :) I have no idea what activities are or are not planned. If you're going to be there, give me a call (even last minute is fine) 0412 64 5525. I'm leaving home Thursday, intend to overnight at Coonamble and arrive Toowoomba Friday.

After Toowoomba, I have the AWPA conference and AGM at Hervey Bay.

It would be lovely to see some of you at one of these events.

• 2 weeks later...
Aerial shot - pretty sure my plane is 3rd from the left :)

Not a good photo, but maybe one of these, Kaye. Same group of planes, I think.

Cheers, Willie.

1b.thumb.JPG.6e23df53c6984c4a990ef6ae3084023d.JPG

Guest aviatrix27

too hard to tell! Was definitely 3rd from the end at the tie downs near the aero club. Gone now, I've arrived at Hervey Bay

Looks like you had a flight in the "light aircraft" we've referred to elsewhere? ...;)

Yes, Geoff, it was quite an experience, and something I've wanted to do for a long time. A definite bucket list contender. It's supposedly heading to Melbourne for a couple of years, so if you get a chance to ride in it, I'd highly recommend it. Will try and get up in it again sometime, hopefully for a bit longer next time.

It's hard to describe. Everything that you've read and learned about the An-2 over the years suddenly all makes sense the moment it lifts off the ground. It's such a large, stable platform and seems a bit surreal to be in something so big that handles like a 172 Cessna. It just floats.

And the 1000hp round engine all adds to it as well. Smoothest feeling aeroplane I've ever been in.

Cheers, Willie.

I don't know the story behind this small jet; it was loud and looked like a lot of fun.

jet.JPG.76738b9fa41bfea1c0298a38f6ea3e20.JPG

From the rego listing:

Amateur built JG2 Serial No 1, powered by GE T58-8F. First Registered 23 Nov 05. Owner/builder lives at Mt. Cotton Qld.

From the rego listing:Amateur built JG2 Serial No 1, powered by GE T58-8F. First Registered 23 Nov 05. Owner/builder lives at Mt. Cotton Qld.

A bit off topic, but it solves a bit of a mystery. I'd always thought this static target ( a screen shot from that 16mm Maverick test clip, Peter) was a Panther, but obvoiusly not after looking at some Panther photos.

I've since found out it's a Northrup F-89 Scorpion. Not a Panther at all.

Cheers, Willie.

Copy.jpg.06bc4387dea48db95e95c2d902f3f8f4.jpg

Holy xxxx! The T58-8F was originally a helicopter engine. There are turbo jet conversion kits available so it's not unbelievable and you get to keep a decent 8:1 compression ratio.

From Herschel Smith's book "Aircraft Piston Engines" ... the Yanks idea of a primary trainer was somewhat different to other allied forces... :confused:

Look, honey - I just ate the Tiger!

[ATTACH=full]1770[/ATTACH]

PrimaryTrainers.jpg.bb7aa72c7cca15f5a1338bda5f13d4d9.jpg