Cessnock Airport

Guest ozzie

Just reading in our local rag that Cessnock Council have made a list of desired projects to present to the Federal Government for the allocation of funds to complete them. Number 4 on the list is improvements at the airport. If funding is obtained it will include upgrading of taxiways, sewage and town water connections for hangers on the western side. Also expansion of hanger availability and terminal improvements.

Fingers crossed.

Ozzie

Guest Andys@coffs

wow....300m is a big increase on what is already by RAAus standards a relatively large runway....That'll take it out to near Taree main runway size......Wonder what their thinking is...REX? 1300m would likely cover a Dash8-400 (not at MTOW....but then who would need that (fuel wise) for a run into Syd.....)

Certainly thinking for the future...

Andy

I think they are hoping to possibly pick up overflow from Williamtown and other RPT. Ambitious!

A cross runway even a grass one just for emergencies would be a great boost. But, YMND is just up the road with sealed cross runways so not a big drama. Locals would froth at the mouth if you tried to have a regular E/W runway.

Guest Andys@coffs

Wow Dutch.....1000m is a bit short for a 767...and who'd have thought they were so cross wind affected !!!

And on a serious note....when you swap from 767 to Pitts does the fact that touchdown in one has you a whole lot higher than the other have any real impact on landing the pitts? I guess if the reverse were the case we might have read about it already!

On initial type conversion to a small plane it does. You do get used to making the adjustment eventually though. The greater risk is of flaring the small plane too high, because you're purely relying on a visual sight picture and it does take a little while to adjust to it when your "normal" flare height is 30+ ft.

If only I had a dollar for every time an instructor in a small plane had told me: "No not there..........no not there either........no still not there........yeah that's it!" 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

In a 767 or A330 you use a vastly different sight picture coupled with audio prompts from the automated radalt calls, so at "FIFTY" you start thinking about it, and at "THIRTY" you act on it. And funnily enough only last night a colleague was recounting a story of when the auto callouts failed and he did a hard landing which had to be written up in the maintenance log!

6 million is the figure they want to spend but don't get your hopes up, last weeks councilor meeting knocked it down to number 11 on the list.

Ditch roll, mine is based at YCNK too and I'd love a cross runway. My Sierra is rated at 22 knots wind but I rate myself about 10 knots!

I have no desire for CCC to spend money lengthening the RWY. It will only attract bigger aircraft and possibly more of them and there would have to be much disruption of RWY availability while they stuff around.

I doubt they would get the approval to lengthen as it would have to be to the south and that's towards town.

• Agree 2

Ditch roll, mine is based at YCNK too and I'd love a cross runway. My Sierra is rated at 22 knots wind but I rate myself about 10 knots!

Yeah the Pitts has a 20kt crosswind limit, but as I've said previously on this forum, I fly it for fun, not for hard work. It's challenging enough on its own landing a high performance taildragger with a radial and very low prop ground clearance when you can't see anything at all out the front. I don't need to add touching down on one wheel in a sideslip to the equation!