Flying close to sydney.

Guest slegrand

Guest slegrand

Hey guys. i just moved down to live in sydney. I used to fly in QLD at coolangatta studying a PPL about 5 years ago. Only got a chance to get up to my GFPT.

I have decided to steer my flying into ultralights and was wondering which was the closest school I could find from the sydney eastern suburbs. Distance is basically the only factor for me. I don't mind how big or small the airfield is or what type of environment it is. I just want to fly :)

Thanks in advance,

Hi Slegrand. I'm in the sticks west of Ballarat, so can't help with your query, just wanted to say welcome! You'll probably hear from Chris & others soon who flew that type.

Regards, Decca.

Guest slegrand

Hi, yeah I found that page on the RA-aus site. The closest school I found was in Hoxton park. However, I cannot find their website or a way to get in touch with them. Does anyone have their details and are they still open?

Thanks for the warm welcome and quick reply. I can't wait to get started. :)

Guest Graham Lea

Ashley While has a Jab and a Technam 0410576011

35 minutes from Waverley to Hoxton on the M5/7

Tell him you got the number from me...

Have fun!

Hoxton is a *great* little airport.

Guest slegrand

Cool guys! Thanks for the info. I'm in the middle of moving and looking for apartments for the moment, so I need a month or so to regroup (financially) but I will give Ashley a call for sure! I'm guessing he is an instructor as well? Because as far as I know I don't have an equivalent to a recreational aircraft license yet.

Yes, chris, the PA 38 is awesome! I love low wings, they make you feel that much more like you're in an F15 :P haha, we all think it, I said it! I'm really curious and excited about starting RA, as you said it's amazingly affordable, and seems to have much less paperwork, which makes me happy :)

So do you guys know off the top of your heads how far I am from a RA license? As stated in my first post, I have my BAK, 27 hours or so and I got up to one hour before my GFPT test, then university called and all my money went into paying uni fees... :( So I actually havn't got the GFPT yet...

Thanks again for being quick to reply!

Slegrand,

Take a look at The Oaks, which is on the south-western edge of Sydney near Camden. From Waverley, take the M5 to Campbelltown (2nd exit). Turn west onto Narellan Road and follow it west until you come to the Camden Bypass. Hook left down the Bypass, and after you cross the long bridge, hang a right at the first intersection after the traffic lights. Follow your nose west until you see the air strip on your left after you leave The Oaks.

If you want some GA flying, you can check out Camden airport. All teh usual GA suspects available to fly, also, there's a VH reg'd Jabiru and an RAA reg'd one at Gostner Aviation.

Go check out these places on Google Maps.

Old Man Emu

Guest disperse

i fly out of the oaks...but hoxten pk is closer to you and there is GA there as well

i chose the oaks for the $$$......not saying anything bad about hoxten park it's not there fault. that kinda realestate cost money

the school is sydney jabiru

Welcome! The airports around are Bankstown (horrible place - think of Archerfield), Hoxton Park (closing in 2008), Camden (my favourite), The Oaks (RA airfield, near Camden), Wedderburn (getting further away now), and if you head north to the Central Coast there is Somersby (RA - trikes?) and Warnervale (which is also closing, not sure when).

Bankstown is a GAAP, parallel runways, unfriendly. Hoxton is a CTAF with one sealed runway. GA, helicopters. The Oaks is a grass RA airfield, CTAF. Camden has one sealed runway and a grass cross strip. GAAP on weekends, CTAF during the week. GA, gliders, lots of interesting aircraft, friendly and a pretty place. Somersby has a pretty awful strip. CTAF.

My suggestion would be to go out and have a look around before making your decision. Look at the airports, talk to people, look at the aircraft. You could easily visit Bankstown (if you want to), Hoxton, Camden and The Oaks in a day. Sometimes I find that talking on the phone is not the same as getting a feel for the place yourself.

This weekend should be a good one - why not pop out and have a look?

Guest slegrand

I just had a really bad experience last night. My credit card got illegally charged for quite a large sum. I'm in the middle of attempting to sort this out. I have to fix this issue before I think about flying. I'll be sure to get back to you guys hopefully very soon. Thanks again for all the help and pointers. I'm very pleasantly surprised at how alive this forum is! I look foward to meeting as many of you as I can soon! Don't hesitate to email me directly at [email protected] if you have anything interesting to let me know. :) i'll also keep checking this place often.

See you all soon.

Simon.

Guest slegrand

Me too mate... if I can't get it sorted I'm gonna to be in big trouble... LOL, the perks of money... :) I'll live. ^_^

I'll probably spare you all the details though... Won't be pretty. Maybe I'll tell you all about it around a beer after a good flight in a few months.

Thanks for everything everyone. I'm getting a great vibe from this community already!

Welcome to our community ... I fly from The Oaks Nr camden . There are a couple of flying schools out there . I can't recommend Daves Flying School enough . They are a a great bunch of blokes out there who are very down to Earth and honest . The website is http://davesflyingschool.spaces.live.com/... Check them out ..

Ashley at Hoxton Park is a good guy too and operates both the Tecnam and Jabiru out there . Have fun , and heres hoping you get your financial situation sorted soon .

Dave C

Welcome to Sydney

Welcome to Sydney.If your looking to live in Waverley,watch out for the parking cops in the area. They're all a bunch or revenue-raising 088_censored.gif.2b71e8da9d295ba8f94b998d0f2420b4.gif, and are notorious for what they do best, and will take all your flying dollars if they get a chance.

I live near Bankstown Airport which can have as much traffic as Pitt Street and you sometimes waste too much time on the ground. Hoxton Park is not much further away for you, and is pretty quiet, but closing next year for housing development. If you check out The Oaks, I don't think you would be dissapointed.

They're a great bunch of guys that gather there, always very friendly, and normally have the BBQ up and running on a Saturday. They'd make you feel very welcome. Good luck with the credit card problem. My girlfriend had her credit card stolen a couple of years ago and within an hour or so went on a spending spree.She reported the loss to the police immediatedly, but the bank still expected her to pay for the theives shopping trip. A friend who's an ex-bank executive told her to take the matter up with the banking ombudsmen (we did'nt even know there was one). The short of the matter was that she did'nt have to pay the debt incurred. Hope this is of some help to you.

Wish you all the best.

Regards

Alan

How true eastmeg2. I reckon the days of secure money is well and truely over.Think we should go back to trading beads and sea-shells.

I have on old wine bottle table-lamp covered in sea-shells and an old necklace the ex-wife left behind. Maybe i'll contact Rod at Jabiru to see if he wants to swap them for a new J160? They are both in pretty good nick after all, and i'm not overly worried about getting a receipt!!!