My Heros

dreemhi

On Tuesday I had the privilege of witnessing a dream come true. I am surprised it has not already been posted and I can only presume the man concerned is being modest. I am not about to steal his thunder so I will not mention his name or a/c but he is a member of this forum.

When someone spends something like a quarter of a lifetime pouring time, effort, money and skill into a dream, you would have to say they are dedicated, when they then demonstrate their faith by strapping into it and heading into the wide blue yonder, they then qualify for the title of bona fide hero.

If I can only do some of what this man has done I will feel very proud of myself.

He is not the first to achieve this, nor indeed will he probably be the last but unlike most of us who are “gunnas†he has done it.

Come on F---, tell us all about the experience and encourage us all to emulate your lead, you have earned the right to shout it from the roof tops.

Maybe there is a case here for a roll of honor to recognize all those who make their dream come true.

David

Guest Fred Bear

Aaah, yes a remarkable person to say the least. This person has had more experiences in life than most of us ever will. David, I am thinking it is the same person so come forward F---:)

Yes , the person in question rang me on Tuesday night and relived the moment so to speak . I purposely refrained from posting about the momentous occasion to protect the proud pilot / builders name . Suffice to say he is a very proud and happy man , and as the saying goes " hasn't come down to earth yet " . Well done F--- , we are all proud of you and hold you in great admiration , you are an inspiration to us all .;)

Dave C

Thanks for the comments and flattery fellas, yes it was a great feeling to get the plane into the air for the first time, even though the excersise was only meant to be a fast taxi, following an adjustment to the alternator. As I was accelerating down runway 18 at the Oaks, lifted the nosewheel, everything felt right, so I thought why not I've got to do this sometime, the feeling can be discribed as somewhere between exhilaration and excitement and maybe a little fear that I may have missed something. The plane behaved beautifully except for the need for a better climb rate, this will need to be looked at. I completed a curcuit, then on final the realisation that I had to land, and, never haveing flown a low wing aircraft before, how would she float after the flare. Consentration at 100%, line up the runway, over the fence, flare, and holding the wings level she settles down. Was it worth the years of work, you bet. Would I do it again, absolutely. All you would be builders out there, there's no better feeling of accomplishment. Well maybe one. Thanks again for your thoughts and wishes. FRED

Congratulations Fred. They say a slow job takes a long time;), but don't worry.at least you got there, and many don't. I know that only too well as I have been restoring a 1962 Sunbeam Alpine which I figured i'd have on the road in three months. 19 years later, i'll say no more.

Don't forget to post a picture of your pride and joy. If your too busy flying it now, we'll have to get Darren to take some pic's, he's handy with a camera.

You must be bloody proud, and rightly so.

Alan

Hi Fred

I don't know you but I know at least you have just completed a low wing AC and you have taken it for its first flight into the air where it belongs!

A marvellous pair of goals achieved.

A hearty congratulations and may you have many hours of enjoyable flying in your own ........ aircraft.

Regards

Fred, once again well done mate. In terms of your thrust problem, I came across an article in the American "kitplanes" mag about a guy by the name of Paul Lipps, he has developed a prop which he recons produces more thrust than a normal prop. Looks weird but who knows, could be worth a look. I hope to be at the field on Tuesday and I'll make a point of bringing the mag with me.

David