Greetings from South Africa

Guest Mogas

Hello all

My name is Rick and I fly a Bushbaby 500, an SA kit built by myself.

Looking forward to sharing information/experiences with fellow light aircraft enthusiasts.

Cheers

Hi Rick

Welcome to a fantastic site, are you able to put the Bushbaby in the hold of the 747 so you can have some fun on your days off? Silly , I know, just couldn't help myself.

Which is the most challenging to fly, Big or little? Both different disciplines.

Did a Threat & Error Management course just a week ago, could only manage to get there on the day they were doing multi crew stuff ( I fly GA), most interesting, especially the senario's and how things happen or maybe don't!

Have A Great Day

Safe Skies

Cheers Guy

Thanks for the welcomes guys.

My job in the 74 is that of flight engineer, so I can't really tell you if it is easier to land than the BB. I have taken off and landed the full motion 74 simulator a number of times though and can tell you that 3 pointing my tailie Bushbaby properly is a LOT harder than landing the 74 sim. Flying the 74 is a lot more proceedural and very much flying to calculated numbers, hardly any "seat of the pants" stuff. The challenge there is sticking to standard operating proceedures (SOPs), maintaining good communication levels amongst the crew (CRM), knowing what your role as a multi-crew member is and then as an FE keeping current with emergency drills and knowing your way around the aircraft systems. Takes a lot of practice (simulator and ground school every 6 months) and lots of self study time, it's a big machine and a lot to remember!

I am active on microlighters.co.za, also as Mogas. This is our RSA light sport aviation forum. Lots of good people and usefull information there as well.

Cheers R.

Hi Rick. Welcome to the forum from another F/E (retired). Plenty of info & experience to share from here for sure. With your diverse experience you’ll have a lot to share with us. Are many of your work associates into ultra lights as well?

Regards, Decca.

Thanks Decca, yes a couple of my work mates are into the light stuff as well, one training Captain is passionate about his trike, another FE built and flies an RV7 as well as trikes and gliders, another Captain glides and is building a Storch replica, an FO is building another RV7 and a Hatz bipe, the more I think about it the more there are!

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi Mogas

I have been looking seriously at a Bushbaby but watching the videos they are all landing pretty hot. The stall with flaps is 33knots. I have been looking at a Savannah which has a stall speed of 23knots and is a stol landing aircraft. I have flown one and it was awesome. Have you tried or thought of fitting VG to the wing of the Bushbaby?. Do you know if anyone has at all?....I am sure this would dramatically improve the stall performance yet not affect the top speed. I am no expert on these matters at all but if you can drop slats off the front of a wing and replace them with VG and still maintain the same stall this can only be a good thing for the Bushbaby.

Regards

Mark