Where are the best weather training fields at this time of year

Guest megavar

Hi,

I am looking at travelling interstate to complete my RA training, as the weather in my present location is too unsettled and makes it hard to organise training.

Does anyone have any recommendations for fair weather training fields at this time of year? I'm looking for places that are going to give me the most "up" time for a full time training regime. My guess is north or inland but I'm probably wrong.

thanks

Matt

Guest Graham Lea

Western New south Wales is generally ok... Forbes, Parkes, etc...

Sydney Basin gets lots of westerlies etc.. until around Dec/Jan sometimes..

Matt; I know 3 forum members are keen on Shepparton, Vic, as far as very good conditions & facilities go, give them time to catch up with your post.

Regards, Decca.

PS: Over to you Ian, Mike & Ben.

Welcome Megavar. I'm not sure about the western side of the country. If you are staying east, I'd suggest anywhere west of the great divide would be the best bet. Somewhere like Bathurst NSW or further affield.

The coastal areas are nicer but the weather is not as reliable.

Well thanks for al the prompt replies. I will start seeking training schools in the areas reccomended to see if I can't accelerate my training.

Terry, I'm presently flying at Georgetown, but I actually live at Oyster Cove. I see you fly out of Sandfly, how is that airfield? I understand it is private.

Guest pelorus32

Hi Megavar,

I trained at Shepparton and my daughter is training there now. The weather is great most of the time - I reckon you'd fly there about 30-40% more than you would in Melbourne. There is just sufficient traffic that you get to understand how to manage traffic but not enough to hold up your training.

The instructing team led by Mat Ford is great and they have a very new fleet of 3 Tecnam P92s - the newest of the aircraft is brand new this week. Training costs are pretty competitive too.

They also do GA and there is cheap accommodation in the immediate area.

Give them a call on 03 5823 5411 and tell them Mike H sent you.

If you come from Oyster Cove we probably know people in common. Do you know Mike & Wendy?

Kind regards

Mike

Good morning megavar,

I too when to the mainland to finish my training . give me a ring on 0412922992 and I'll fill you in on what I think is the best option.

Regards Terry

• 2 weeks later...
Guest megavar

Well guys I did it.

I went to Nerranderra NSW and we flew every day for 7 days.

I now have Pilot certificate, cross country, passenger and radio endorsements.

It was a busy week for me.

Thanks for the tip Terry.;)

Hi Matt,

Congratulations again, from all accounts you did real well! Wallys J230 certainly cranked up the hours that week.

I have to say though you looked a bit drained when you returned from your C/country.

Cheers

Roger @ Narrandera

Congrats Megavar.

You must have been one of the (many) students that has been keeping him busy as of late. He's a great bloke Wally. Gotta love his accent and expressions!

And may I take this opportunity to brag that Wally signed me off for my certificate today!!:big_grin:

I've still got a bit more solo time to do for the passenger endorsment, but a few circuits, a lap around the 25 nm limit or the X country endorsment will see that done.

G'day Leeton Ross and where were you hiding Roger??

Guest megavar

David,

No ASIC required at Nerranderra.

I can highly recommend Wally's flying school, he is a great instructor.

cheers,

Matt

Well done Matt, a very busy week it seems. I'm pleased you took the wally option and I new you would not be disappointed. I think I got a couple more lined up for wally. You've got to be in front when you do it all in one block, as well as that I think it's easier to keep your mind on the job and you don't waste time going over and over the same thing.

Regards Terry.

Hi Matt

After the limited edition barbecue there were not many empty time slots on Sunday but Robert Kirk and I managed to get just 40 minutes in Wally's J230c and a very few photos. So we headed Wagga direction to use half that and I eventually landed on 23 using full rudder for the cross wind.

The other J230c syndicate ac did some flying as well. He actually had to hold on 32 taxying for 14 while we landed at about 16:00 hrs.

We learnt that in the J230c you had to set the glass height while on the ground otherwise it eventually kills the electronic compass.

Regards

Guest pelorus32
David,No ASIC required at Nerranderra.

I can highly recommend Wally's flying school, he is a great instructor.

cheers,

Matt

G'day Matt,

that's an interesting thing...Narrandera has RPT services and according to ERSA is a Security Controlled AD. It must be therefore that the security guys at Narrandera turn a blind eye.

http://www.airservices.gov.au/publications/current/ersa/FAC_YNAR_30-Aug-2007.pdf

Might be different if DOTARS turned up. The other thing of course is that you don't need an ASIC if you are under the direct supervision of someone with one AND you only move direct from groundside to a/c or a/c to groundside whilst under direct supervision. That means that you "can't" refuel the a/c for instance.

All this stuff gives me the screaming heebeejeebees but I would hate to see someone nailed by DOTARS.....which btw is also a very unpleasant acronym, even if they think it means Department .....024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Regards

Mike