Punctures

I read in the trike forum about people putting a solution in their tyres to prevent punctures and was wondering how many people do this in the larger ultralights or do you carry a spare tube or puncture repair kit when you are travelling any distance ?

Just wondering

Brian

Hi Brian,

I prefer the spare tube option although I do believe the "green slime" aerosol does work as a short term fix.

I am going to replace my tubes eventually with "Airstop" tubes (Michelin I think) as the Yanks seems to swear by them.

Here is a copy of an e-mail from a contact in the USA:-

The better tubes are Michelin "Airstop" tubes. These are made from Butyl and do not let the air molecules pass out like regular rubber tubes. They also have a special lining inside the tube that is self healing. You can puncture it with a nail, pull it out and it will seal itself. This is not a new concept because some tubeless tires in the USA with this coating have been around for many years. Like I said in my last post, my partner and I flew out of lots of dirt strips, plus being in the Arizona desert you picked up stickers and our tires would go flat over night. When we switched to these tubes we never added air for a year. Never had any more flats.

These tubes can be purchased with a straight stem or a 90 Degree angled stem (TR67). Here is the purchase info.

By the way these tubes are made in Italy.

Aircraft Spruce:

(on the internet)

Michelin Airstop tube with valve type TR67 (metal 90 degree stem)

Part number 06-00019, tire size 5.00 x 5 $56.75

Part number 06-00021, tie size 6.00 x 6 $44.90

Desser tire Company:

(on the internet)

5.00 x 5 valve tr67 $50.60

6.00 x 6 valve tr67 $65.00

Regards

Dave

Hi Dave, those tubes sound like the answer, I just worry a bit if the solution that goes into the tubes would make the tyres go out of balance, just looking at options to try and cut down weight for repair kits for tyres, spanners to undo wheels, repair kit, pump. The weight just keeps adding up.

Thanks

Brian

I just found a right angled piece of brass pipe that looked like a tyre valve and on enquiring was told that it was a valve from a tailwheel. The owner had used the puncture prevention aerosol and the rubber had melted around the valve. Not once but it happened twice. Not good.

Brian,

I went through this myself at one time. Was advised to try TruBlue Puncture Goo by another forum member being assured that it worked well for him/her. Alas, not so for me. The CT on take-off and landing vibrated badly with out-of-balance wheels. So had to replace all three tubes to get rid of the shakes.

Dave,

If you get onto an Oz source for the Airstop tubes let me know. I've tried with no luck.

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Spoken with my local bridgestone tyre agent and have been told of somewhere in Melbourne that a company injects a solution like silicon into the tyre valve and when it goes off it is solid, It comes in different densities so as to give the same properties as different tyre pressures, when i find out more information i will let everyone know.

Brian

Have been using the blue-goo with no problems, 125ml per main from memory, and flew immediately after filling to get the stuff evenly distributed around the inside of the tube before it went 'off'.

(Was going to try it in my road bike as well, but at 120psi over a 23mm wide tread not sure how well it would work.)

I also carry spare tube, puncture repair kit, and one of those self inflating aerosol repairs in a pressure pack.

Have managed 3 puntures in the last two years - but none since the blue goo.

Hi brilin_air,

Yes - that is correct. Came recommended to me from fellow Tecnam owners, who have all reported good results.

I am not sure what tyre the CTSW has - imagine it is fairly similar - so not sure why the vibration problem might have happened, unless pooling occurred in the tube prior to an even distribution being effected?

Paul