Newest U.S. A22LS in the hangar

Guest SrPilot

Guest SrPilot

After a number of hurdles to clear (shipping, customs, FAA paperwork and inspections), my A22LS resides in my hangar (and am I happy!). I flew it last Wednesday - it was my 3d A22 flight. Everything went fine. We garner seemingly universal compliments on the little bird from everyone who sees it. For those of us in the U.S., our Aeroprakt importer is first rate. I understand he already has a number of others in the pipeline, but I will always be number 1 in his customer stream. 019_victory.gif.9945f53ce9c13eedd961005fe1daf6d2.gif

I am quite pleased and look forward to getting to know the plane well. Unfortunately, it is winter so I will have to contend with cooler temps and some rainy days.

Guest SrPilot
Congrats on getting your new baby into the hangar. We have 3 or 4 now at Caboolture and a new Vixen is on its way I believe. They are popular here in Australia

Thanks. I think they are about to get more popular in the U.S. We have a significant market and a new importer who is going all out to represent Aeroprakt in the U.S. I think price and feature wise, the airplane compares very, very well to its competition. Sure, one can spend tens of thousands more for a plastic airplane that flies faster and there's nothing wrong with that if that is what one is looking for. The A22LS isn't going to set the world's LSA speed record (which in the U.S. is only 120 anyway), but on most flights it will arrive only minutes behind its faster competition and if the legs are long enough, it might even squeak out a turtle's win over the hare. With 30 gallons of fuel, I think I'd need a bucket on a non-stop flight. 026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif

I remember taxiing out in my RV-3A once (years ago) behind a Citation Jet. We were both going to the same airport about 100 miles distant. He was on an IFR (instruments) flight and we would be transitioning some MOAs (military operations areas). I was flying IFR too ("I follow railroads"). He took off and was sent here and yon around the military traffic areas; I took off, climbed to maybe 1500 ft and flew straight to the other airport. They landed while I was taxiing in. To this day, they probably tell it differently, but truth is on my side, and speed doesn't always make one the fastest. 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Guest SrPilot
Congrats on getting your new baby into the hangar. We have 3 or 4 now at Caboolture and a new Vixen is on its way I believe. They are popular here in Australia

BTW, a mite off subject but one never knows when one may be transitioning the area so I need the following information strictly in case I am doing a cross country flight in the Caboolture area. I notice a business known as The Victory. Behind it are some glass high rises similar to some of the condos on the Gold Coast, but I saw some aerial photos of Caboolture which show no such large buildings. Is the photo of The Victory over in Gold Coast or Brisbane, or is it a fact that if I am over-flying The Victory, I will need to heed the high rise buildings? Inquiring minds want to know, again strictly for aviation reasons. 062_book.gif.f66253742d25e17391c5980536af74da.gif

Not sure what "The Victory" you are referring to but the most famous business is the Victory Hotel. It is in the middle of the Brisbane central business district surrounded by high rise buildings. Caboolture is some 40km north of that point and the Gold Coast is about 70 km south of that point.

The Gold Coast is of course the famous tourist strip for sun sand and surf but Caboolture is just a satellite city north of Brisbane about half way between the Sunshine Coast and Brisbane. Most of us locals go to the Sunshine coast and stay away from the Gold Coast. The Sunshine Coast is far more relaxed and every bit as good when it comes to sand and surf

Guest SrPilot
Not sure what "The Victory" you are referring to but the most famous business is the Victory Hotel. It is in the middle of the Brisbane central business district surrounded by high rise buildings. Caboolture is some 40km north of that point and the Gold Coast is about 70 km south of that point.* * * Most of us locals go to the Sunshine coast and stay away from the Gold Coast. The Sunshine Coast is far more relaxed and every bit as good when it comes to sand and surf

I'll keep those points in mind next time I'm through the area. Been to Caines, through Brisbane, to Gold Coast, etc, but never to Caboolture. My loss I'm sure. I was looking at photos on a Google search of Caboolture and one of the photos showed The Victory with high rises behind it, but other photos showed a nice smaller community with no high rises. I surmised the Victory was possibly in Brisbane or Gold Coast and not in Caboolture. I've also made Alice Springs, Canberra, Manley, Melbourne, and Sydney. Lots of Australia to see yet, and I wouldn't mind revisiting areas I've already visited. I'll keep the Sunshine Coast in mind. Thanks.

099_off_topic.gif.20188a5321221476a2fad1197804b380.gif

Guest SrPilot
Maleny is just up the road from Caboolture...you have to drive right past the airfield on your way north to Maleny on the highway. Make sure you PM me if your coming and I am sure we can get something organised

WILCO. Thanks.

Flew the A22LS today. First time after the delivery and briefing. Stayed in the pattern and did stop-and-goes. Everything still in one piece. Quite a change from my CJ6A. Made the first turnoff after final landing. It's a short field bird. A CJ6 will not made that turn if it's still on the gear. 026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif

Well, maybe if the pilot's very, very good, drags it in, and burns up the brakes - maybe with a 150 degree turn to the taxiway; maybe then.

Is the Vixen going on line at one of the flying schools?

Congratulations on the arrival :) Try some big right rudder sideslips - it's fun looking down and straight ahead with nothing but plexiglas in the way. Scares some people who see it but perfectly OK in the FB.

Yes I believe Caboolture Recreational Flying is getting the Vixen and it will be online

Thanks, I've been in contact with Bill recently as my 15 year old son is keen on starting flying. His flight training prices in the A22 are good.

• Agree 1

A school with both A22LS and A32's will provide a very nice natural transition for ab initio and then cross country navs...all at very low fuel and maintenance cost. Can't see why anyone would start in GA these days.

• Agree 2

A school with both A22LS and A32's will provide a very nice natural transition for ab initio and then cross country navs...all at very low fuel and maintenance cost. Can't see why anyone would start in GA these days.

Yes agreed.

And by mid Jan Caboolture Recreational Aviation will have exactly that, as well as the Rotax powered J160.

And a great bunch of instructors as well. No I am not biased and no I do not own shares in the company.

I will admit I can't wait until the Vixxen gets here so I can test her out.

• Agree 1

Guest SrPilot
Congratulations on the arrival :) Try some big right rudder sideslips - it's fun looking down and straight ahead with nothing but plexiglas in the way. Scares some people who see it but perfectly OK in the FB.

Thanks BF. I look forward to it. Not today though. Cold front passage, winds gusting to 20 knots. Not exactly a good training day unless you're training for the day you get caught in 20 knot gusts, I guess.