Prop Balancing

PaulN

Guest Teenie2

If you only want a static balance its easy to do it yourself.Dynamic is another matter unless you have a few grand to spare.

Our local LAME organisation has some very sophisticated dynamic prop balancing gear for prop on engine and in flight balancing. Don't know the local cost but it should only be in the 3 or 4 hundred range for a dynamic prop balance.

Apparently the dynamic prop balancing really makes a huge difference to the smoothness and performance of the aircraft.

• 3 months later...

Had my prop dynamically balanced this Saturday. Much smoother now and less stressful for the airframe.

I can recommend the thoroughness of Jim Williams at Albury, nice guy too. He trades under Classic Airplanes in Hangar 7 and contactable on 02 6021 5818 or 0408 480 445. If you're worried about flying into YMAY, it is simply CTAF® outside of TWR HRS and I'm sure Jim will work in with you to fit these times. Worth asking I guess. There's also a guy at Wangaratta who does balancing, Hamish Ramsay 03 5722 3726 but may prove more pricey and difficult to fit in with.

He tells me that most aircraft are flying with out of balance props and unnecessarily suffering resultant stresses. If you're not sure about yours it would be worth checking. It took about 2 hours of fiddling to get mine just right and cost $225.

Cheers,

Paul

Moorabbin also has a mob that does a similar job - fixed price of $250 and it was suggested that it takes a couple of hours also.

I balance machinery in field both 1 and 2 plane - generally heavy ID Fans (several tonnes) so I have the correct balancing machinery. However, I will not be balancing any A/C props as I have nil experience of this and being attached to an in-phase reciprocating engine worries me.

But just a thought. Where on say a wooden prop would you attached the test weight and final solution; under the hub bolts?

Alan

Last time I saw a prop properly balanced the weights were applied to the inside of the backing plate, so in a Jab, in behind the rear place closest the cowl,

Hi Dave,

Not any of the usual FD stuff. When I took delivery of 3841, Shaun had fitted a 3 blade Airmaster constant speed prop with elect contol unit. A nice prop but adds 12.5kg to the front end necessitating extra ballast in the tail to balance the CofG (something he had omitted to do).

Alan,

As Brent said, the weights are bolted to the backing plate.

Thanks Paul.....does your prop have a time limit for a service check? Mine is a Neuform 3 blade variable pitch and the manufacturer requires it to be sent back to the factory in Germany after 500 hours or 3 years (whichever occurs first).

The three years will be up in 15 months time, so I am hoping that I can get it done in Australia rather than shipping it to Germany which will be an expensive exercise.

Regards

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Dave, I would be most interested to know the outcome of your enquiries on you 500hr / 3yr Prop '' overhaul'' Mine is Neuform 2 blade but only 110 hrs yet. I cannot understand what could possibly be needed to be over hauled after 500hrs that would warrant having to be sent back to germany. Providing blade and hub integrity is ok , unless they want to Xray them? David