Jetstar near miss blamed on throttles

• Stephen Moynihan
    October 31, 2007 Melb Age

A JETSTAR flight that came within moments of landing on a runway its crew could not see had its engine throttles in the wrong setting, according to an investigation released yesterday.

On the morning of July 21, the Jetstar A320 from Christchurch with 138 passengers made two attempts to land at a fog-bound Melbourne Airport.

So heavy was the fog that the pilot made the decision to keep the plane on autopilot and land using instruments. Earlier flights had aborted their landings because of poor visibility.

When the fog proved too thick for the Jetstar crew to see the runway lights, the pilot decided to abort the landing. Engine power was increased for the plane to climb, but instead it continued to descend with wheels lowered. At its lowest point, the jet was approximately 15 metres from the ground.

The pilot switched to manual control and reached higher altitude, and after permission from air traffic control attempted to land again. After the second attempt was aborted, the plane touched down safely at Avalon.

Yesterday, the Australian Transport Safety Bureau released its preliminary report on the incident.

The report said the flight data recorder showed engine throttles were in the wrong setting during the first aborted landing. The bureau did not suggest pilot error was to blame and continues its investigation.

Jetstar began its own investigation more than 10 days after the incident. Chief executive Alan Joyce welcomed the bureau's initial findings, saying the carrier had changed some of its reporting procedures.

"Jetstar … has established procedures for the handling, notification and reporting of safety occurrences underpinned by a proactive safety culture," Mr Joyce said.

"Jetstar has undertaken a number of immediate safety actions which have included the clarification of and revision of procedures … and continues to co-operate fully with the ATSB investigation."

• 2 weeks later...
Guest pelorus32

Jetstar near miss blamed on throttles

That's right, it's all the fault of those pesky throttles. If they'd just put themselves into TOGA instead of FLX/CLMB then none of this would have happened. Pesky throttles.

Wasn't it one of the predecessors of the A380 that crashed so spectacularly at Farnborough Air Show years ago.

They rely too much on computers and if the pilot doesn't set up the computer correctly it can result in a big barbecue.

pelorus32Jetstar near miss blamed on throttles 

That's right, it's all the fault of those pesky throttles. If they'd just put themselves into TOGA instead of FLX/CLMB then none of this would have happened. Pesky throttles.

Maybe if they flew it as per the Airbus book........none of this would have happened........apparently it has some quirks, but this case is not all it seems......088_censored.gif.2b71e8da9d295ba8f94b998d0f2420b4.gif088_censored.gif.03b4fab6f26a58d5cdf75ba85c450225.gif088_censored.gif.2b71e8da9d295ba8f94b998d0f2420b4.gif sorry gagged here!

Guest pelorus32

I'm being delicate in what I say given the mores of the forum about talking about accidents before the investigation report is finalised.

I think my view is clear from my post however.

M

I agree, however some well informed;) inside info suggests that what you read in the media is not quite the full story.

Was a human issue not a computer one......and what is worse, the operator either deliberately or inadvertantly managed to begin a cover up by playing it down!

I think there will be very carefully worded statements in the final report.

J

Wasn't it one of the predecessors of the A380 that crashed so spectacularly at Farnborough Air Show years ago.

I think you will find that was at the Hasbsheim (France) Air Show, not Farnborough, and the pilot, Michel Asseline, went to prison.

I am assured if the current A320 throttle lever is placed in the TOGA, and left there it will spool up and rocket off quite smartly.

There is way more to this incident. It was lucky not be a total Charlie Foxtrot.

Wait for the report. Unless some moderating goes on it will not look good from what I am told.

As for the AF accident why on earth were passenger flights allowed to do that in the first place???

J