Hecks Field

flie43

Gidday all, was looking at some postings on gold coast etc and am unsure where Hecks field is. As I have a sister on the Gold Coast, it may be another alternative next trip up that way. Have done a number of trips into Southport airfield and Jacobs Well and have seen a small one near Coomera but alas haven't had the pleasure of Hecks.

Terry

From memory, not much has changed. Was there last June. From memory it was like 10 mins flight from there to Cooly and about 45 minutes by car.

Last time I flew over going to Bribie for a holiday with wife sister there seemed to be a few more hangars and a cross strip. Earlier the ultralight guys were great but they had a great laugh at me getting bogged. Brent, You are right, it is a quick trip to Cooly, but Hecks is certainly a nicer spot

Terry

Guest sypkens

No. no tree that I am aware of...? There is a section of trees about 700m east of 28 but that should not affect you in short final (well it does not affect me in the drifter in any way).

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Jan

Landing 28 is not so bad, trees are there but not so much a problem.

Runway 36 is another matter. Hill with large trees on short final. If you fly something slippery it will be a case of flying around them to the right then line up at the last second.

I have taken a big crosswind rather than land 36, after going around. Its possible of course but best left to the locals who know it and or a slow machine like anything slower than a Gazelle!

J

Guest sypkens
Just for the 'heck' of it, I tried GoogleEarth to find Jacobs Well. Found the township but not the field. Directions please.

See Attached Photo. The airfield is in the red circle. You get access to the airfield from the Stapylton Jacobs Well Road. the road shown in the map that criscross the runways do not exist (and hopefully will not be built otherwise we will have problems;))

heckfield.thumb.jpg.05d98dbcdffe644542e7c3d2d5173ae5.jpg

Saving Images from Google Earth

You can save the current 'screen' image in Google Earth by selecting File - Save - Save Image or pressing CTRL + ALT + S.

See attached image of Heck Field.

It looks like Sypkens cropped a "print screen" image of his entire desktop and using Google Maps, not the full GE interface...just my assumption.

Cheers,

Matt.

796870403_HeckField.thumb.jpg.cd5c729135f8600c57f023919c059b96.jpg

Guest sypkens
It looks like Sypkens cropped a "print screen" image of his entire desktop and using Google Maps, not the full GE interface...just my assumption.

Cheers,

Matt.

Spot on Matt:clap:. I am at work and do not have access to GE or any decent imaging program. So the next best has to do.

Regards,

Jan

Its no easy to spot from the air when descending let me point out.

If you do not have the GPS waypoint for it, track to the Jacobs Well VOR, its right beside the nav aid.

Most good aviation gps hand helds have the VOR's in them. If you dont have the old radio nav aids (which I dont).

Lets hope them satelites stay stuck up there!

J

Guest High Plains Drifter

Its a bit of a mystry how us old Ultralight pilots found our way around pre GPS days - perhaps we was Super Pilots 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

HPD

Heck Field has to be one of the most difficult strips to locate visually, that I have come across in my travels.

I flew there in 2004 by GPS in my trike and was still looking for it from 1500ft directly overhead when my GPS indicated I had arrived.

Good thing I was only doing 50kts and can look straight down in straight & level flight.

Cheers,

Glen

You are quite right EASTMEG

Just came back from a trip across the deserts and its a bit hard to follow roads or railways out there......coz there aint any!

J