Mooney loses cargo hatch mid-flight • UK video

I've had ELEVATOR malfunction twice in my career. and numerous pitch trim, Flap and spoiler malfunctions in the real world not just a Sim. PITCH is THE Control that you MUST have to stay flying, (Boeing must now know that) so I'm a bit sensitive to the need for a dual system or some way to cover it... I normally hesitate to be too judgemental on a pilot as you don't really know UNLESS you were there. I don't like to complicate matters if I can avoid it and I realise how "duff gen" can be dangerous.. Sometimes I may be a bit to the point but that's a consequence of attempted brevity. My aim is more safety through understanding. Nev

• Like 1

How to turn a nasty situation into a very nasty situation very very quickly.... Note the first thing he did was make a mayday call!!!! I am guessing (hoping) a fairly low time guy. No PAX brief at all... That many bounces in a Moonie there will be prop and engine damage for sure. They really don't like to bounce...

I can recall a similar situation. On my CPL flight test in 1990 with a well known and rather grumpy testing officer, flying a 177RG the first leg was GC to Tenterfield (TFD) where we did a short field landing and a soft field takeoff. Airborne gear up, the baggage door popped open and began fluttering in the breeze. Back around for a CCT and a landing. Shut down and receive a dressing down from the testing officer who went on to explain how you MUST lock the baggage door in a 177 or they will come open,, how its lucky nothing flew out etc etc etc. I was 100% certain I have locked it as I knew that aircraft (VH-CVG) well and new about its door issues. He gave me a demo on how to shut and lock it and thinking I had probably failed the flight test we took off for the next leg anyway. Airborne, gear up, POP baggage door comes open and is flapping in the breeze. I am thinking to myself see I told you I locked it, now it opened on you, there may be a chance for the test yet... Downwind for another landing.. gear down.. winding noise, no gear down light, in transit light stays on... Gear leg visible my side, gear leg visible, his side, think I can see the nose gear in the teeeny little mirror. I was allowed to keep flying and work through the issues. Keep it under 90KIAS for the door's sake, manual gear extension for real. No change to the situation. We discussed the situation. Don't want to land on the dirt at TFD with dodgy gear, don't want to fly all the way back to CG (nearest with services) with open baggage door. Decided the baggage door was a bigger issue so declared a pan pan pan and flew the approach at TFD. Surprisingly I was allowed to fly the approach, but had help with the "Hold the nose gear off as long as possible". We kept the engine running and don't try to shut it down. flying the ACFT over saving the engine... Touch down went well, gear stayed put, we rolled out and turned left off the runway. stopped clear of the strip and shut down. Called the operating base for help. they send out a PA-34 with a LAME and help. Turns out an over-center bolt in the nose gear had sheered and the gear was being held up by weight on it alone!!! LAME fixed it (I don't want to know how) temporarily and the cargo door was fixed with 100MPH tape... We flew back to CG with the gear down and RTB.... The PA-34 blew a starter motor on startup and was stuck there for 3 days!!! I passed the check ride but had to go out the next day in a PA-28 to do a low level leg to prove I could NAV at 500' to pass the flight....

The thing about Jase T's terrific tale is that we get to identify both with underestimated young pilots and grumpy old ones at the same time.

Win, win! LOL

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Geoff, I mentioned that for the Mooney " specifically" in my ORIGINAL comments. Please stick to PITCH, ROLL and YAW in this. The only reference to the Mooney in my last post above was in regard to the undercarriage behaviour on rough ground when you are fast. The last thing needed is confusion in these matters.. Nev

Sure Nev, just thought that it was interesting the way Mooney did trim. I was warned that a baggage door coming off had killed a pilot some years ago. Door damaged the control ability of the aircraft, don't know how.

Well Geoff, if you are doing say 160knots indicated it's going to hit it with a great whack and substantial damage is likely It's fairly low weight is a saving grace compared to a birdstrike when the bird is a fair size.. The Mooney's an interesting plane that attracts some people by it's performance but I didn't find one that had a big enough motor to leap into the air at higher density altitudes and they have a wet wing with a Magnesium SPAR. Yikes Nev

Edited by facthunter

Yes. Those baggage doors are actually quite heavy. I bet it came open for 2 reasons. One door not locked in flight. Two, he was using a generic door seal rather than the $$$ Mooney one. Don't know why but my main door kept coming open with a generic seal. Bought the Mooney one, no more problems.