HF in a small plane

RFguy

super narrow TUNED bandwidth.

efficiency usually doesnt get beyond 25%. But witha bit of power on TX that fixes that, and on RX you are noise limited

the lack of ends (like a dipole) means it is very much less sensitive to capacitively coupled interference from arcs and power supplies etc.  so it usually will pick up less in your yard from nearby. whereas the dipole will pick up all sorts of coupled stuff (not radiated)  within roughly the full size of the antenna.

By capacitive or electro -static  coupling, I means that the interference source is often like one plate of a capacitor, and the  dipole wires being the "other " plate of a capacitor.. The loop is less sensitive to this because of its small physical size (not near anything) and it can be built with an electrostatic shield so it is immune to capacitive coupling.

Jab 7292  I was astounded at how well this looped worked on 40mtrs. I tested it inside my big shed where I build my aircraft. it was sitting on a wooden block just off the concrete leaning on my work bench I use for the aircraft building..I think I have a pic I will find it.

I was hearing stations in VK2 and also the boys up in Bundaberg chatting with so little noise it was nuts. Here at my QTH the noise is terrible. I had my IC-9100 on the Butternut vertical on the roof of the shed and my 7100 on the loop..it was chalk and cheese. I was using 10 watts only to talk back to the bundy guys and was getting 7x9 reports. Truely blown away by its performance

5 hours ago, Kyle Communications said:

No I meant a early submarine hunter not the aircraft

when is your Aeropup going to be ready jack?

Just dropped you an update on Messenger.....