Hangar fire Jandakot W.A.

There's been a pretty disastrous hangar fire yesterday at Jandakot. It appears two men were cleaning an aircraft using a fairly new air compressor, when it's reported the compressor just "exploded", and set fire to the equipment in the hangar.

Two men have been burnt trying to save the three aircraft in the hangar, but one "rare, vintage" aircraft wasn't able to be saved, and was burnt beyond repair. Another adjoining hangar was damaged. The damage bill is reputed to possibly be around $1M.

Jandakot Airport refused any comment on the fire, but a woman by the name of Gail Neylan (correct spelling) was interviewed by the media, and gave more detailed information.

It appears the two men (father and son) saved two of the three aircraft in the hangar, but were unable to save the third aircraft - and incurred burns in doing so.

I'm hazarding a guess here that the "rare, vintage" aircraft burnt was the 1948 C170 (VH-LJN) belonging to Gail Neylan. Photos of this aircraft from 2015, are in the link at bottom.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/jandakot-airport-fire-emergency-crews-battle-hangar-blaze-wa-news/fa1c5927-3c16-4cc7-87e5-fef6a981251d

https://www.aviationwa.org.au/aircraft-photos-movements/2015-2/langley-park-fly-in-17-october-2015/

I think this is a timely reminder of how important it is to do a regular "fire potential" audit of your hangar, and ensure that flammable materials and electrical items are kept well apart, and regular checks on electrical cables, and fittings and connections, are carried out.

And of course, Chinese compressors are a pretty high risk item at the best of times, and if you choose to use them, make sure they are located outside the building.

I won't buy Chinese compressors, all my compressors are built in the U.S., France, Italy or Australia. Compressor pumps I use are Atlas-Copco, Ingersoll-Rand, and Fu Sheng (Taiwan). The Fu Sheng compressor pumps are premium quality.

The "explosion" reported from the compressor could more likely have been a major motor burnout - when AC current arcs with a short circuit, it can provide some major fireworks.

I was quite startled recently, when working at my industrial block in a small country town about 130kms NNE of Perth, to hear a very loud explosion and crackling and popping, and flames coming from the rear of the adjoining industrial property.

There was no-one at the property, it's simply a workshop owned by a long-retired (80 yr old) mechanic, who has the normal collection of machinery and junk laying everywhere. But I couldn't figure out where all this noise and flames were coming from.

Upon closer investigation, it turned out he had run a long 3-phase cable to an electric motor on a test bench at the rear of the workshop. This 3-phase cable had been swinging loosely in the wind for quite a number of years.

FInally, the movement and chafing was enough to create a short circuit, that made the cable explode with a bang in a shower of sparks and flames - which display kept up for the best part of a minute!

If it had been Summer, his shorted cable would have almost certainly started a fire. As it was, no damage ensued, apart from the burnt cable.

I can remember having a similar episode in another of my workshops, well over 40 years ago, with a 240V extension cable to a pedestal drill.

This cable had been swinging in the wind (when the workshop doors were open) over several years, and one day when we were working right nearby, the cables 3-pin plug burst into flames and smoke and arcing, with a rather frightening display.

Lucky, there was nothing flammable within several metres of the cable, and no harm was done. We replaced the cable and tied it securely, to prevent movement.

Edited by onetrack
  • Informative 3

• 3 weeks later...

The TV report on this fire said that the destroyed aircraft was an ex RFDS aircraft  That would make it Jan Ende's Cessna 180 VH-FDH.  I sincerely hope Jan and his son Dan are not too seriously hurt.

• Informative 1

On 03/09/2021 at 3:44 PM, Virago said:

The TV report on this fire said that the destroyed aircraft was an ex RFDS aircraft  That would make it Jan Ende's Cessna 180 VH-FDH.  I sincerely hope Jan and his son Dan are not too seriously hurt.

FDH was never returned to service following a landing accident at Karumba in 2015.  It was a lovely example of the breed, was meticulously rebuilt and maintained, and a delight to fly. FDH is one of the highlights in my logbook.

The aircraft destroyed was a Cessna 185, which I don't think was ever in RFDS service. In fact, I don't believe that 185s were ever in RFDS colours.  Both Jan and Dan Ende were quite badly burned in the fire, and on a long road to recovery. 

• Informative 1