767 3-mile final (Cat III) • 737 lines up and rolls. Austin TX, Feb 04 '23

Very unsatisfactory situation to evolve. Autolands can self initiate go arounds and the other aircraft would compromise that. Secondary considerations are could the SWA plane safely abort? Before V1 Yes.. That  would reduce the time of close proximity substantially.. Some people will have some bad sleep nights. The TWR I would think.  The SWA could have not accepted the clearance to line up, knowing Fed EX was close . There was no urgency for them to get away. There's rarely any urgency to get airborne. Nev

Edited by facthunter

40 minutes ago, kgwilson said:

"We appreciate your Professionalism". ATC to the Fedex pilot after the almost disaster was averted. Well ATC had none in this case.

Yeah, before that he said "You have our apologies, sir" and the "appreciate your professionalism" part, I took to mean "thanks for being cool enough not to cuss me out on the airwaves". Some YT commenters reckon that SWA puts undue pressure on ATC to not delay their aircraft.  And the 737 captain's willingness to accept such a T/O clearance seems dodgy, if for no other reason than the ILS protection zone around the threshold. As Juan and others pointed out, the mere presence of another aircraft in that area with a CATIII (zero visibility) arrival on short final can throw the glideslope out - with obviously poor results.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1