Radio quality..

Guest Cralis

On an flight on Saturday, coming into Caboolture, A radio call was made from a glider, saying that he was following the Tecnam (us) on the downwind. Fine. But then just before that, there was another call that there was no way in hell anyone could make out. It just got ignored (it seemed).

Now, what if that was a call that would have resulted in a conflicting flight path to what we were on? If you hear a call, and can't make out what the broadcaster is saying - what is the mindset/procedure? There were a few that I battled to understand. Now, it's possible they were across at Redcliff, and that's why the quality of the call was so bad, but.. maybe they weren't.

If they are near they will probably be loud, but that cannot be guaranteed. The old rule of see and avoid still holds, and hearing a call that you cannot read should tend to increase your awareness.

Just getting an odd word can sometimes help, for example you may hear a runway number as they seem to stand out, that could help locate the caller.

It wasnt saturday, but probably on thursday or friday I was about to get rolling behind the aero tow when we had 2 calls exactly like that. At caboolture too. Neither me or my instructor could make it out. Sounds like it might have been the same guy though. It also could have been the other airfield on the freq. There cabo, redcliffe and another one.

Aviate, Navigate THEN Communicate. Best off in that situation having a good look outside if you know someone unknown is in the area - in fact good idea to assume that an unknown aircraft is there at ALL times.

Yep, what Brentc said. If ya hear two together then say "two in" or "two together", (over the radio of course) you'll usually get at least one of them to repeat back again..

Or, if someone unreadable, let them know, and also report your position, that way if he's a potential conflict acft you will both be looking for each other.

cheers

Guest Andys@coffs
There is an easy fix... "Station calling - Unreadable > > > SAY AGAIN"

Actually that rarely fixes anything just generates a repeat of carrier plus radom garbage. Where I fly (predominantly glidere) its a common theme and carrier plus radom modulation = glider about to do something = remember they have right of way...

Andy