So you buy an Airplane:

Guest drizzt1978

Guest drizzt1978

So lets say you buy a Jabiru or something like that. What do different airports, in and around melbourne charge for storage. Either in a hangar or tied down?? Anybody have any ideas???

IF you can possibly find ANYWHERE to hangar your aeroplane, count on AT LEAST $1600 p.a. I don't know why but there is always a shortage of hangar space. I must be a poor investment otherwise councils would get into it. Geoff

Guest basscheffers

Yeah, what is it with this industry: why is it so hard to find this stuff out? Airports are businesses, yet they do an extremely poor job at marketing themselves. Even if they have a reasonable website, they will never list any pricing.

Last year there was the classic aircraft fly-in at Parafield which drew quite a crowd. So you have a lot of people interested in aviation in one place, most of whom don't think they could ever learn or afford to fly. So how many of the schools located at the airfield had a stand with information or offering on-the-spot TIFs? That's right, not a single one!

And folks wonder why private aviation is in decline despite the general population becoming more affluent and thrill-seeking...

HANGAR SPACE A REAL ISSUE

I have been looking lately for ha ngar space within reasonable driving distance of Melbourne, by reasonable I mean one hour otherwise might as well drive to the destination right?

There is nothig reasonable! 85 bucks at Riddell,no services, no community. $ 100 at MBN if you can get it. Melton not interste din talking to me or anyone but the strip is rubbish and no flying community there to speak of.

Bacchus is full but some hangars can be built I believe but still 80 bucks a week.

How on earth can any one afford to store the plane at those prices and fly as well? Yeah you can get folding wings and store a plane in the garage but I want to fly faster than 87 knots.

Looks like partnerships is the way to go to reduce costs, anyone intersted in a RV6A/7A partnership?

Yeah, what is it with this industry: why is it so hard to find this stuff out? Airports are businesses, yet they do an extremely poor job at marketing themselves. Even if they have a reasonable website, they will never list any pricing.Last year there was the classic aircraft fly-in at Parafield which drew quite a crowd. So you have a lot of people interested in aviation in one place, most of whom don't think they could ever learn or afford to fly. So how many of the schools located at the airfield had a stand with information or offering on-the-spot TIFs? That's right, not a single one!

And folks wonder why private aviation is in decline despite the general population becoming more affluent and thrill-seeking...

Yeah, and the airports nowadays look more like prisons anyway, with all the security fences and stuff around...a poor visitor has little hope in enjoying himself these days...Well that's my experience anyways...051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

Guest bigblockford545

Park on the grass at YMMB for $850 PA but don't forget your PPL and it's controlled airspace so you'll get a bill or three from airservices as well:crying:

have fun

Simon

Skydog, Tooradin is close to getting it's new hangars. If you're interested, call and leave your name on the list and you'll be first cab off the rank. When it happens it's going to be a VERY large hangar setup. You heard it here first exclusive to this forum ;) Also, it will be RA-Aus focused in that the dimensions of the proposed hangars have a height limitation that will suit RA-Aus aircraft.

PS: There's an RV7 share going at Tooradin at the moment!

In the mean time, erecting a temporary hangar, or parking your aircraft with covers etc in a nice sheltered spot is certainly not out of the question.

Basscheffers, Airservices bills for Moorabbin are the roughly the same as most other Towered aerodromes in Aust, around $8 for a full-stop landing for my 700kg machine, increasing for larger aircraft.

Guest basscheffers
Basscheffers, Airservices bills for Moorabbin are the roughly the same as most other Towered aerodromes in Aust, around $8 for a full-stop landing for my 700kg machine, increasing for larger aircraft.

Thanks, but what I was really after was the chargers for flying through controlled airspace. (like taking a shortcut to your GAAP or uncontrolled destination by flying through controlled airspace)

Guest basscheffers
No charge for flying through controlled airspace, unless you are IFR. At present you only get charged for landing.

That's good news, but also interesting as in the article about CTA endorsement in the October mag "Airways charges" was something new we would have to deal with. But it sounds like unless we get IFR endorsement as well (yeah, right!) there is nothing to pay other than landing fees we already have to deal with.

Anything else Lee Ungermann could have meant by "airways charges"? Or is he just mistaken?

Guest drizzt1978

SKYDOG: As i said i think feb/march next year i will spend 50 or there abouts on either something for me or go half with someone. And i might have a word at Tooradin this weekend to my instructor (CFI) and get the low down on hangars if i can (thanks to brentc for that breaking news) 041_helmet.gif.78baac70954ea905d688a02676ee110c.gif

Well Brentc and drizzt thats brighter news and good to see Tooradin going along so well.

How many $ per week will it be is the big question.

Tooradin suits many people but for me is one hour and 10 minutes further away from where I usually fly to.

Heard Bacchus might put up some more hangars soon too.

Brentc, is that RV share in Simons plane or another aircraft altogether. If so,is it completed/flying?

Yeah, it's Simon's plane. It's getting another engine shortly, hopefully one with some more grunt. He has another project on the go so he would be keen to sell off a share no doubt. It doesn't do a lot of work so would be good for an expanded syndicate.

How much? No idea and probably nobody knows that either. One would assume it would be around $40-$50 per week based on other hangars down there. I'd go as far as to say it wouldn't be over $50 a week.