Cheap navigation - Mio Moov and OziExplorerCE

OZIexplorer GOTO

GO_TO function heads up as you know the list is too small to choose with your finger and you can not use the stylus when flying the answer is two have two of every airstrip which makes it twice as wide ,,, ie you have two lines with the same airport , you can import and add waypoints twice.

from

coolangatta

southport

heckfield

to

coolangatta

coolangatta

southport

southport

heckfield

heckfield

The font size etc can not be changed in the screen designer so this is the only way I know to work around, One disadvantage is it will show less waypoints *goto* touch on the lowest goto and then use the up/down arrow.

This works with a 5 inch gps ok

Any other ideas out there, Thanks

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Startibartfast

I will give that a try one day when the rain goes away 2012,2013 who knows?

VGA Pocket PC's running in "true VGA" mode where the toolbars and dialogs appear too small. If you put a file called hires.dat in the folder where OziExplorer is installed

Note the full resolution of the device is still used but dialogs, fonts, symbols etc are doubled in size. When designing new screens in the "Screen Designer" you must use half the resolution of your device as the screens are automatically doubled in size in OziExplorerCE.

It is important to ensure that the file doesn’t end up named hires.dat.txt – you need to untick the ‘Hide extensions for known file types’ option in the View tab under Tools ? Folder options in Windows Explorer on your Microsoft Computer

Thanks again

There's a few hundred ways Dexter (my mother told me a million times not to exaggerate). The easiest is probably to copy any old file and rename it. It doesn't have to be blank - the contents aren't checked. It just has to exist in the OziExplorerCE folder with that exact name.

Hi Gerry just a quick thankyou for the waypoints it sure saves a lot of time putting them in manually.

I still havent flown with the GPS yet but all seems to be going well.

I have spent the last few days playing with the GPS and Ozexplorer as we have been rained in here in SEQld. I have 2 maps loaded Bris VNC and Bris WAC (ones I downloaded from Maptrax ) I am waiting to get some more on cd as the files are quitre large

I showed the GPS to some of the guys at Kilcoy on Sunday and they were quite impressed with it and the small costs involvrd I think once the word gets around everyone will want one .

I plan to use mine alongside my Garmin 196 using the 196 for navigating and the chepie to check my position on the charts , the only problem to watch out for is not to let the old steam power navigating skills decline to much.

Cheers

Ken

Dexter thanks for asking the questioin re the coppying of "hires.dat" I thought I was the only dummy around and was just about to ask the same question myself

\Cheers

Ken

I don't know if this is any help to anyone, but this .KML file (it can be converted to a .gpx or .wpt file for OziExplorer) has all airport/aerodromes in WA (including all center of WA country strips). I have a .wpt (I think) file with all aerodromes in Australia loaded into it if anyone wants it.

Regards,

Andrew

See attached for WA airstrips.

Airports-&-Airfields-20101206224533.zip

Hi,

GPS arrived today from China and I managed to set everything up and it's all running well. Thanks for the info slarti! Would it be possible for you to post a new download link to your OziCE home screen? The link further back in the thread is dead now. Also can you navigate directly to a waypoint just by selecting options on the GPS unit? Or do you have to set the route up in OziPC first then import it?

I'll be flying this weekend so I'll have to test it out :D

Thanks for your help!

Andrew

EDIT: Disregard I've found the all-in-one page, thanks! Still wondering about the routes though...

Hi Andrew

I also have just set up my Chineese GPS last week Don't they perform well.

There is a goto button in the waypoints menu that will get you where you want to go.

I have tried mine out in the car but as yet I have not been able to try it out in my savvy due the to the Qld wet weather. Weather was good on Sunday for flying but the taxi way was to boggy to get out of the hangar .

Cheers

Ken

GPS arrived today from China and I managed to set everything up and it's all running well. Thanks for the info slarti! Would it be possible for you to post a new download link to your OziCE home screen? The link further back in the thread is dead now. Also can you navigate directly to a waypoint just by selecting options on the GPS unit? Or do you have to set the route up in OziPC first then import it?

Hi Andrew.

Just emailed the screen in case you haven't got the right one.

I usually nav by waypoints in flight. Not very often these days do I plan the route and save it as a .rte file on the PC.

I have very little trouble popping up the waypoint list, selecting one and hitting goto - unless it's really really bumpy. Still no great drama though.

Cheers,

Ross

Hey Ross,

Thanks I got the email and it's working fine and I've worked everything out I think. I think OziExplorer should add a search function to the waypoint list, would sure make waypoint navigation easier. Is it possible to add custom cursors in OziCE?

-Andrew

I haven't done it and don't know how yet, but Ian Boag knows. Hopefully he'll wade in and tell us.Otherwise I'll work it out when I get a minute. A little Cheetah would be cool.

File>Configuration>MovingMap>Pointer .......

I think OziExplorer should add a search function to the waypoint list, would sure make waypoint navigation easier.

Dunno. The waypoints are sorted by distance, so assuming you don't point at anything much more than 100 nm away, the list to scroll down can't be that long. A search function would require firing up the KB which would be real hard work in flight ....

• 1 month later...

G'day,

Slarti provided me with a no name chinese 7" GPS unit around 18 months ago, and apart from the reflections on the screen it has worked well as a car GPS, and when I have played around with the aviation side of it whilst on the ground - never used it in the air as I'm still waiting for my aircraft to be airworthy.

Anyway, the unit has died recently, I think because it got a little hot being left in the car during a particularly hot summers day. Any ideas on what I might find wrong that is fixable - long shot I know? Has anybody else had one of these die on them, if so were you able to restore it to operational mode?

Pud

Sorry to hear about your GPS pud, I thought it'd be cool to set a password on mine through Windows CE. I rebooted the device and found the keyboard wouldn't open when I tapped the password input box, now I'm locked out! Have to wait till the battery dies and the settings reset now.

-Andrew

Sorry to hear about your GPS pud, I thought it'd be cool to set a password on mine through Windows CE. I rebooted the device and found the keyboard wouldn't open when I tapped the password input box, now I'm locked out! Have to wait till the battery dies and the settings reset now.-Andrew

Does your unit have a hard reset option - you know, a little hole into which you insert the end of a paper clip which pushes a switch to effect the system reset?

Pud

• 1 month later...

Just an update for anyone interested or for those who will read this topic in the future... I did manage to fix this by reformatting the GPS with the software provided by my eBay seller.

-Andrew

Just an update on my side:

After my Mio moov 370 died due to the battery no longer keeping charge, I invest on an Archos 70.

This does not have a built-in GPS but able to got the external (keychain) GPS connected via Bluetooth.

Now I am in the process of checking 'rMaps' for off line GPS.

I have all my documents now stored in Archos 70 (ERSA, AIP, VFRG, POH) which I use for leisure reading.

Apart from GPS, the ability to use this as a tablet (actually that is what it is) is an added advantage for me.

pradeep