How to market a Skyfox CA21

rick-p

I need help and good advice.

As some of you are aware I have a CA21 Skyfox which I do really desire to sell in order to fund a restoration project.

I don't fly the Fox anymore it just sits in an enclosed shed gathering dust.

It is in reasonable condition, a very honest aeroplane.

I don't want a fortune for it, only a reasonable price.

I might even be prepared to sell the airframe complete without the 912UL.

I just don't want all the bull:censored: of dealing with tourists, I only want to deal with genuine buyers.

If someone is genuinely interested and has a inspection and then decides not to buy it no problems but I can't entertain tyre kickers.

When I bought the aircraft some years ago I told the vendor if the plane is as he describes it I will come to him with a bank cheque in my pocket, give it to him and fly away.

That is exactly what happend.

It's not a new aircraft and therefore it does have warts but it is safe and flys well so a minor paint blemish or scratch on the perspex are not bargaining points only safety matters and obvious more than minor appearance issues are.

I am open to offers but not insulting offers.

There have been a few Fox's sell in recent times for around $28,000 to $29,000 but I'm open to offers under that range as even though money does have some reference herein I really don't want to see the aircraft rot away in a shed which will happen if I don't sell it.

The 912 only has 350hrs TTIS and the airframe approx 1500hrs but this can be confirmed from the log books.

If someone is genuine contender then they will be most pleasantly suprised at what I may be prepared to let it go for.

I will not disclose any price at this time as I feel that only the genuine will than look at it but I can say it's less than $28,000, even maybe quite a reasonable amount less that I have in mind.

I will say though it won't be as low as the $20,000 a certain worm offered me a little while ago on a sight unseen basis.

I don't know what the point of his exercise was as I know what the market value of the aircraft is and I am prepared to sell it under market value but I won't cut my throat for the sake of a sale.

I collect things and don't like to part with them but I just feel in the case of the Skyfox it would be a shame if no one ever again got enjoyment from flying it.

Anyway if someone can point me in the right direction it will be greatly appreciated.

I'm aware of the RAA members market as I sold a Supa Pup some years ago through that method of advertising.

What do you all think of Ebay?

In anticipation thanks all, for your help and good advice.

Regards,

Rick-p

Guest mudjeep

As someone who looks at ads for aircraft all the time (although without the money to buy one - yet) I think this forum and the classifieds section that Ian has set up are going to end up being the most dynamic market for recreational aircraft in Australia. The RAAus magazine is great but only comes out once a month, with longish lead times even for aircraft ads. The online version of the Members Market is actually even worse as there are no photos and it isn't updated any more often.

If we can encourage more people to advertise here then eventually we'll reach a critical mass where you'll HAVE to look here to get the best deals as they will be sold long before they can be seen in a magazine or newspaper. This should result in aircraft being sold more quickly once a decision to sell is made, conceivably even within 24hrs.

As for ebay, I wouldn't expect to find enough potential buyers there to make it worthwhile.

I'll give you a call on Friday after I win Powerball. :musicboohoo:

Suggestion.

RAAus mag. and Aviation Trader. People making low offers sight unseen are just flying a kite. Good luck. Don't let anyone fly it unless they are used to them. (You know that already). .. Nev.

Guest Maj Millard

I think you are already putting it out there pretty well on this forum, and you may not do much better than that. Good luck rick-p..........................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Thanks Nev and Maj. your comments are greatly appreciated.

Nev, I know that a lot talk about the difficulty they have experienced in landing a SkyFox but I can honestly say that I have never ground looped any of the number of Fox's I have flown.

The only way to land the old girl if other than a very calm day or the wind straight on the nose is to wheel her on.

Speed and stability and it saves the tail spring somewhat.

The plane that gives me some difficulty and not in landing but taking off is the Drifter.

It's those infernal pedals, my feet just can't come to grips with them and my right knee gets tangled up in the dash and fuse.

But I do know this that I wouldn't want to be in anything else if I have an engine out over a rice paddy's as you can bury the tail wheel into the mud like an arrestor hook on an aircraft carrier come to a full stop in about 30 feet.

Twice proven.

Rick-p

As someone who looks at ads for aircraft all the time (although without the money to buy one - yet) I think this forum and the classifieds section that Ian has set up are going to end up being the most dynamic market for recreational aircraft in Australia. The RAAus magazine is great but only comes out once a month, with longish lead times even for aircraft ads. The online version of the Members Market is actually even worse as there are no photos and it isn't updated any more often.If we can encourage more people to advertise here then eventually we'll reach a critical mass where you'll HAVE to look here to get the best deals as they will be sold long before they can be seen in a magazine or newspaper. This should result in aircraft being sold more quickly once a decision to sell is made, conceivably even within 24hrs.

As for ebay, I wouldn't expect to find enough potential buyers there to make it worthwhile.

I'll give you a call on Friday after I win Powerball. :musicboohoo:

THANKS, BUT YOU CAN'T WIN IT THIS FRIDAY AS I HAVE ALREADY PLACED MY ORDER.114_ban_me_please.gif.0d7635a5d304fa7bdaef6367a02d1a75.gif

Guest Maj Millard

rick-p, Don't know what model Drifter you have, but if it is a 582 powered one you need the fixed rudder trim tab. Not a factory fit, but without it they just want to take off to the right, especially with somebody in back. With the rudder tab you barely need to use any rudder on takeoff.

rick-p, Don't know what model Drifter you have, but if it is a 582 powered one you need the fixed rudder trim tab. Not a factory fit, but without it they just want to take off to the right, especially with somebody in back. With the rudder tab you barely need to use any rudder on takeoff.

Maj. it's not my Drifter it belongs to the club in the Philippines.

It's a wire braced model.

I find the SkyFox so much easier to fly off, on and just generally around the patch.

But in any event I will check out the Drifter when I go over there again in November.

Thanks for the advice.

Regards,

Rick-p

I'd watch the attitude about tourists wasting you time. If I see an add that makes claims of 'no tire kickers thanks' or so on, as a buyer I think 'sure mate, I'd hate to waste you precious time with questions...'. I have had the opposite experience of late with a

mate trying to by an aircraft. It was like he had to prove his worth to them, he had the money and was super eager to buy! Yet owners where being a complete pain, even having the arrogance to demand if 'he was really interested'. When I sold my first drifter I had a call from a guy with a couple of hours on drifters and was on his way home overseas. It was an hour drive to the field but I thought, well, gotta give him the chance to buy it. I ran itfor him and he asked if $10,000 was enough deposite! He had been in contact with others who blew him off, all the better for me. He had $30,000 to buy a drifter and was getting sick of dealing with sellers!

Put it out there in the raaus mag and make the enquiries count. Of the 2 aircraft I have advertised the enquiries came from the mag, nil from this site unfotunatley..

Thanks Vorticity but I think that I will retain the attitude because of my past bad experiences with people you think are genuine but are just con artists wanting to impart the vast knowledge they think they have in respect of the particular item that you are trying to sell.

In my profession we call them men of straw.

If a person has a look and just feels that the item is not really what they want then fair enough but when they have you bent over backwards, tied up in knots and just basically exhausted coming up with every minor matter in an attempt for you to just give it to them at a fire sale price, no thanks.

I have sold aeroplanes before to people for less than someone else would have paid me on the basis that I can't tolerate fools and bull:censored: artists.

On another point I have already had a couple of good enquiries from members of this site and both these guys are good honest people who can ask what they want and take it as far as it goes and in the end if it isn't what they want that won't be a problem for me as they are not just tourist's but genuine in their search for a suitable aircraft.

The last aircraft I sold was advertised in the old AUF magazine and was a very quick result but this time I wanted to try something a bit different and with any luck it has paid off.:thumb_up:

Rick-p

RAAus magazine does work last month i rang about the Vampire for sale. Five minutes after getting the magazine out of the mail box. I was the sixth person to ring up.

Dazza, yes thanks I have used the magazine previously with success.

It is a great publication with good variety of info for all concerned and the members market does have a very good success rate.

Rick-p

Sykfox for Sale

Rick P.

I'm interested in your plane and the price range seems about what I was looking at paying. WANT TO TALK? You can email me at : [email protected]

I need one thats factory built - can you email me a copy of the Log book? Couple of photos would ne OK.

I am in the Central West of NSW and am happy to travel - I'll come with the $'s and make my mind up on the spot. No tyre kicking.

Mike.

Rick P.I'm interested in your plane and the price range seems about what I was looking at paying. WANT TO TALK? You can email me at : [email protected]

I need one thats factory built - can you email me a copy of the Log book? Couple of photos would ne OK.

I am in the Central West of NSW and am happy to travel - I'll come with the $'s and make my mind up on the spot. No tyre kicking.

Mike.

Hi Mike,

I sent you some pic's and number did you receive them?

Rick-p