Privatley importing a aircraft kit???????

Goodaye all

l am looking at purchasing a abandoned fastbuild kit from the US.

Does any body know whats involved?

or has done it?

It will be registed as experimental.

regards Bruce

Guest watto

I am currently importing a kit from Canada and it has been straight forward as the aircraft manufacturer has a lot of experience and has prepared the kit, crated it in the appropriate man made wood crate, prepared the documents required by our customs and arranged the freight through a known shipping company with full insurance the transport for the kit was less than $1400 aud.

It is in transit now and is expexted in port in Brisbane on June 16th, a recommended agent will have the crate cleared and awaiting me to simply collect.

C & H Freight looked after the import of my RV4 Kit. I didn't think Vans would do it. Must have been mistaken. No problems and reasonable cost.

Hi Bruce.....you say an abandoned kit? Does that mean part built by the previous owner or still new and unstarted? At Natfly I think it was Steve Bell from the RAA hosted a forum and this subject came up. Im no expert so just passing on what I heard. Apparently there have been some horror stories of people doing this in the past. Getting it here and you building or finishing it is not the problem. When comes time for final inspection you need to produce all the documents and build history of all the previous owners work. This is where it comes untidy apparently Steve was saying. There have been situations where the previous owner wont hand these documents over till further payments are received from you. Im not saying dont do it as Im no expert on this. I would call Steve at RAA if that is the way you want to go and clarify it all before you commit to bringing it over here.

Maybe someone else who was at Natfly this year can jump in with anything else as I walked in halfway through this part of the talk.

Good luck with it all

Scotty