World Poetry Cup

riverduk

We've all heard about all the different world cups there are today, what with soccer, rugby, you name it, there is a world cup for it, but I bet you didn't know that a few years ago they held a world cup for poetry, yep and it was real simple, you were given one word and in ten seconds you had to use that word in a poem, best poem won, simple.

Well after six months of intense competition right around the world, it finally came down to the last two competitors, a Pommy Preacher and an old Drover from Outback Australia, who, no one is quite sure how he got there, but he did.

Anyhow a place in the Outback was found where the acoustics were just right for such an event and all was set to go, the Poms were there shouting 'England, England,' as they do and the Aussie's were in the bar, supporting the nation.

Being good sports as we Aussies are we let the visitors go first, so the Pommy Preacher gets up to the mike and the judge says to him, "Your word is Timbuktu.'

Without any hesitation he starts:

I've been a preacher this many a year,

I don't smoke cigarettes and I don't drink beer,

I can preach to anyone, including you,

and I've preached from Old London Town to Timbuktu.

Well the Poms go up as one, they reckon they've got it won, chanting, 'England, England.'

Well they finally drag the Old Drover out of the bar and he's about 3 parts cut when they put him in front of the mike, the judge says to him, "Your word is Timbuktu.'

Well the clock starts ticking down 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, they're just about to ring the bell and award the prize to the Preacher when the Old Drover started:

Me an Tim, off we went,

found 3 Sheila's, they was in a tent,

they was 3 an we was 2,

I buk one an Timbuktu! 114_ban_me_please.gif.0d7635a5d304fa7bdaef6367a02d1a75.gif