Maptrax priced out of digital Air Services charts business

As a regular customer of Maptrax, I got an email today.

It included this little pearler:

Last but not least, we have to announce that we will no longer be producing the Air Services Aeronautical charts in a digital format. Changes to the licensing scheme have made it uneconomic for us to continue producing these charts, and we felt that most customers would not be prepared to accept the large increase in costs that we would have to pass on if we continued.

We appreciate all those pilots and aviation firms that have supported us over the years, and we acknowledge that this is probably going to leave some of you with no viable alternative. Unfortunately we are a commercial operation, and if we can't turn a profit on the product, we can't justify continuing with it. We would advise you to stay in contact with Air Services Australia, as I am sure they will be looking for somebody else to fill this role.

We will remove all Air Services charts from the website at the end of the month.

What have those bureaucrats at Air Services done now?

The maps were $10 each. How much have they changed the licensing to make them unaffordable? How do we get our digital versions short of scanning them ourselves?

Will the paper versions be going up too?

Not happy.

For what it's worth I have a contact here in Auckland that will scan A1 maps at about $5 each. That's how I got my digital maps here in NZ as they were not available commercially. Ironically - Airways NZ (that's our version of AirServices) is just (finally) about to start releasing digital VNCs at last. My understanding is that they will get Maptrax to do it. Go figure ....

If you want scanned maps, have a dig round in the yellow pages. Initial price for an A1 scan may be quoted at $25+ - just offer $5 each for a number of scans -explain that you don't need colour fixing or scratch removal etc. Someone will bite. Product works fine. 200 dpi is enough. Scans become 6 MB JPGs. Needs minor polishing (straighten and crop) in a PhotoShop-type product

I rang AirServices about this. They are aware of the MapTrax decision, but don't understand it. The price is going up, but not that much - and they informed MapTrax a long time ago.

The conference room at AirServices has been buzzing with discussion about this, and someone else has emailed them indicating their interest in taking over digital sales.

They suggest waiting a week and getting back to them.

Dexter, I agree that old versions will do for digital copies. That's what I've been doing - just updating my paper ones. However, we would be breaking the law if we shared our files. So people who want to use moving map software would have to buy and scan their own.

Although it could be argued that if they buy their paper versions, we are just helping them to get a scanned version of what they already own.

Good idea to ask around for an A1 scanner. Once scanned though, the map needs to be calibrated and an ozf3 file created. This can only be done through the full version of OziExplorer on the PC (AFAIK - the demo version only allows 3 points to be plotted) and is prone to errors which would only became apparent when you flew to the chart with the error. The beauty of having a reliable supplier is having this work done for you with guaranteed accuracy.

Guest basscheffers

Typical; the digital version by Maptrax used to costs about the same as AsA printed. But no, just like old media and digital downloads, the rights holder want to charge MORE for something that costs them LESS to produce!

I wonder how long it will be before someone (or group) does do scans of all the maps and puts them on Usenet or BitTorrent, every OziExplorer user will still have their maps and AsA gets NOTHING anymore. Well done guys.

(No, won't be me as I don't use or want or need to use OziExplorer.)

I wonder how long it will be before someone (or group) does do scans of all the maps and puts them on Usenet or BitTorrent, every OziExplorer user will still have their maps and AsA gets NOTHING anymore.QUOTE]An opening for Clear Prop maybe?

Pud

Guest MapTrax

MapTrax replies...

Hi,

I thought I would step in here and try and give you a bit of an explanation as to why we have stopped producing the digital version of the charts. And give you an indication as to the effort that is required to produce these charts, and thus what anybody else trying to takeover has to be aware of.

Producing these charts every 6 months is a time consuming manual process.... it takes us close to two normal working weeks to do all the work to get the charts into a usable product. This involves the following:

• Converting charts from PDF to TIFF in Photoshop

• Crop and clean up external edges of the chart

• Reducing DPI from 500dpi to 150DPI, this makes filesizes reasonable.

• load each chart into GIS software

• Calibrate 4 points, and enter projection information

• check calibration by overlaying calculated grid, and checking to see that it matches grid on chart

• exporting chart into various file formats

• running OziExplorer conversion process to generate .Map files and .Ozfx3 files

As you can see..... kind of tedious, almost none of which can be batch automated, and we are the first to admit we make mistakes occasionally that have to be corrected, usually after being picked up by one of our customers.

So for the two updates per year, we use up 4 working weeks worth of effort.

We on an average year would make a net profit of less than $6000 on these charts, at current chart pricing, which if you do your calculations is line ball with what the paper charts cost.

The new structure we got offered was going to remove another $4500 - $5000 of our net profit... which you can see makes all the effort involved seem kind of worthless from a business point of view.

Yes AirServices warned us some time ago there was going to be a change in contract, but it has only been in the last couple of weeks leading up to the next release of charts did we get told what the costs were going to be.

Air Services have been fair in their dealings with us, unfortunately their new licensing structure just dosen't suit a business of our size. And they don't seem to understand that the more we charge people... the less they buy !

We do hope somebody picks up the provision of digital mapping, but we suspect that prices would have to increase to make it viable. We would encourage you all to support whoever does pick this up... this means buying the updates ! Because they will have to bear the costs every 6 months, whether or not anybody buys the updated charts.

We do thank you all for your support....and will leave with the thought... Why dosen't Air Services join the 21st Century and provide these charts electronically themselves ?

Cheers

Neil

Manager - MapTrax

Thanks heaps for jumping in here to explain your position Neil. It's very much appreciated.

When I call Airservices back next week I will be pushing your last recommendation - that they get with the program and produce digital versions themselves. That's by far the best solution.

Otherwise it may come down to scanning and calibrating our own. As you say, a time consuming process.

I was happy to support your business too. As I recall, you're Eltham based? I went to Eltham High a long time ago.

Cheers,

Ross

The charts are copyright, so whoever Torrents them will need to be anonymous. Not real hard.

This is a typical example of what Overpaid Unaccountable Drongoes (OUDs) can do in a corporate environment. People who get paid for going to work and not for what they produce.

Maptrax want to provide georeferenced files. People want to buy them. Airservices no doubt have software that will do that by pressing a button. Airservices can't be bothered figuring out how to sell them. The only thing that AirServices offer Maptrax is printer pdfs. Pictures with all georeferencing removed. Because they already had them to send to the printer and there was ZERO time/cost involved.

So MapTrax take what they are offered by an Airservices OUD. MAptrax recreate (by hand) all the georeferencing (that was in an earlier version of the file) at a non-significant cost and time.

Remember that these pdfs for Maptrax cost AirServices ZERO. They are the pdfs that were going to the printer anyway ....

Then some AirServices OUD decides they should up the price because they can. So sales fall to zero as price increase has pushed Maptrax out of the market. Now Airservices get zero for selling the digital chart rights. Maptrax lose revenue.

The OUD still gets paid the same.

Well done.

In the real world we would know who the OUD is (he/she has a name and job description). One assumes that the OUD's pay packet is not going to be influenced by his/her brainless decision. He/she is probably putting in an application for a pay rise this year based on he/she now having more experience.

So who are you Mr/Ms OUD? Fess up. Why did you do it?

Addendum - I forgot - OUDs prefer to roam in packs called "committees" ..

Guest basscheffers
Remember that these pdfs for Maptrax cost AirServices ZERO. They are the pdfs that were going to the printer anyway ....

Not to mention the GIS files that these PDFs were made from could also be shared online at zero cost by Airservices.

Imaging the innovative products we'd see if they set the data free!

Possible applied lunacy

I think this is how it works.

Airservices (or their map contractor) have a GIS system. It keeps everything in a big digital database mishmash that can be output in various forms.

I would be willing to bet that geopdf or geotiff files are in the list of ways the data can be outputted at the push of a button. These are georeferenced files ie they have embedded lat/long info. That's what a GPS or Sentient need.

Another format is a pdf for the printer. This is just a picture WITH ALL THE GEOREFERENCING TAKEN OUT. This is all that Maptrax could get, so Maptrax MANUALLY HAD TO PUT BACK ALL THE GEOREFERENCING THAT HAD BEEN TAKEN OUT.

How clever is that? What century are we supposed to be in? Why can't Airservices just spit out the georeferenced stuff themselves for us flyers?

Guest basscheffers
Why can't Airservices just spit out the georeferenced stuff themselves for us flyers?

Because they are holding out for some big company like Jeppesen to pay them lots fo money for it?

It's probably got a lot to do with sour grapes over not being able to charge Jeppesen big bucks for the AIP. "If we can't charge (much) for it, we won't give it to you at all, even if doing so would cost us next to nothing and we get our income from elsewhere".

I have no time for the "user pays" apologists; the only reason we need maps like VTC and VNC is because THE AIRLINES need controlled airspace and need us to either stay out or play their game. Either way: they need it, they pay for it. We should not have to pay to be in or know how to stay out of what would have been free for us to fly in if the airlines didn't need it closed off in order to make their money.

Yes how safe is this Jeppesen digital maps use 20 year old low res backgounds compared to the USA and only update the overlay which is FREE to them from airservices .

We have all ready paid them from our taxes and this is a Safety issue how many people have not the newest Maps? maybe if the local Newsagent sold them.

Why dosen't Air Services join the 21st Century * Fake Entrepreneurs , no competition, MAFIA

In my department our non commerical in confidance spatial data is available online because the user has already paid. The taxpayers pay for the public service to exist. Maybe not all departments do it that way... Or does a private company produce the data that air services use?

Information

Hey Slarti - have you made that "next week" call to AirServices yet? Did they give you all the good oil or was it a cloud of smoke?

See? I knew there would be no point ringing back when she told me to.

She was just informed today that with the next release of charts, they will be available from Airservices digitally, but only in PDF format (well - she said PFD, but we got to the bottom of that). Of course that means no geo data.

She was short on other details (like price, whether you get them free with your paper copies, etc.), so I have emailed the docs unit with all those questions and more.

Including asking whether it would be OK to scan and calibrate your own charts then provide them to someone else who owns the paper versions but lacks the skills and/or equipment to scan their own.

I'll let you know the replies (give it another 3 weeks).

I told them that me and 4,000 of my pilot friends await their reply.