J160c - c152

Great to hear you had fun Andrew,I am about to do my first flight in a Jab 160, so I am curious, I have been told that the Jab aileron response is not as good as the C150/2 at low speed on the flare and hold off .... what is your experience. Did you find the 152 docile and predictable in control or twitchy compared to the Jab? What was your initial observations compared to the Jab you flew (you didn't say which model Jab).

David.

Hi David,

I fly the Jabiru J160C usually. Jabiru aileron response isn't the best at low airspeed but it's fine at higher airspeeds. The C152A requires minimal input to the controls even at low airspeed, but keep in mind the C152A ailerons are about 3x the size of the Jabiru's. The rudder is very touchy on the ground, but in the air I didn't notice that much difference. My first observations would be the toe brakes, they're very sensitive. In the Jabiru you need to think ahead a bit, the rudder is pretty firm on the ground. Good luck with your flight in the Jab! I'm sure you'll enjoy it :thumb_up:

I'm looking forward to your next report on spinning but in the meantime I was just wondering whether you had the option to cancel as you specifically wanted to do spinning?

Yes I had the option to get a refund, credit or go flying...

-Andrew

Oh David .... be kind ... don't put the poor boy off:laugh:006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif:laugh:David.

I didn't mean to, I was just being nosy. All seems to be going well so far for sseeker.PS - I have a copy of "The Chipmunk Spin - The Facts" via the Chief test Pilot of de Havilland in 1960. It is a cover letter containing a copy of the article in the (Australian) Aviation Safety Digest of June 1960. If anyone wants a copy just let me know.

Chipmunk spinning.

I would like to take your offer up. When you spun a chipmunk you did not quite know the out come. Not quite predictable. you needed your witts about you. nev

• 3 months later...

Indeed, please keep us posted, sseeker.

Off topic again - just happened to come across some more information on Chipmunk spinning. It is buried in this 8.2Mb pdf at http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP562.PDF Leaflet 11-1 starting at page 1025.

I like this advice:

Spin Recovery must be started at least 3,500 feet above ground level, in order to retain level flight by 1,500 feet, consistent with a height loss during recovery of up to 2,000 feet.

Of course, that is in the UK - here we'd say to commence recovery by 5,500 ft AGL minimum.

naremman

Can't wait to get out there and try these so called spins :big_grin: I hope I won't be disappointed by the weather again 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

Hope your lessons on spinning really expand your flying knowledge. It really is a sound investment.

In one of your earlier posts it sounded as if the cost for the Tiger Moth was a bit daunting. If you are looking for a definitive demonstation of the stall/spin characteristics an hour with Trevor Jones in the Tiger would be worth multiple hours in a C152. Some time in a Tiger allows one to appreciate its strong points, as well as demonstrating just how far we have moved on from operating an open cockpit aircraft from all over grass airfields and getting a majestic 75 knots from a rattling 130 hp up front!!

I finally did it! I recovered from a spin several times :big_grin:!!! My instructor initiated the spins and told me to recover. She asked me just before we did some if I knew how to recover (since this wasn't a lesson I did the brief myself) ran through the steps, throttle neutral, flaps up, opposite rudder to spin direction, break stall, recover from dive and power on. Then around we went much easier to recover from then I expected and a much more enjoyable experience then I expected. Finished the flight up with some aeros. I hadn't done aeros for 2.5 years and my tolerance has improved dramatically for some reason.

I highly recommend some spin training or familiarization for any RA-Aus pilot or GA pilot who hasn't done them yet.

-Andrew