How do you learn?

• 1 month later...

Shags, follow the link here: Homebuilders

It will take you to the EAA's "Hints for Homebuilders" site with a bunch of videos on the fabrication techniques used in the various forms of construction. I'm building an RV-12, and have also completed the empennage on an RV-9. If you really carefully follow the plans (and I mean REALLY carefully) it all comes together quite well.

I also did Sam Richards (Temora) 2 day course on sheet metal aircraft construction. It was invaluable, and fun too.

BTW, I realised that the RV-9 was too big a job for me and I wasn't going to finish it before I was an octogenarian - which is why I switched to the RV-12.

The Skyranger and X-Air type aircraft go together easily and quickly, so they may be worth a look too.

Good luck with it, you'll find its a really enjoyable and satisfying pastime (mostly - I hate fibreglass !!!)

Denmit

l proberley am coming at this a bit different.

In the past l have restored a number of Classic and Vintage cars and have a very well equiped garage.

l have had enough of cars and will build my own plane, l feel many of the skills l have learnt over the years will see me complete this project.

l will be ordering my kit in the next couple of months.

Being a mechanical and electronic engineer will proberly help ;)

regards Bruce

Thanks heaps guys. However I just bought a house (settles monday) that I couldn't turn down so my airborne plans are put on hold for the time being.

Great video's there. They will definitely come in handy for when I start.

Thanks heaps guys. However I just bought a house (settles monday) that I couldn't turn down so my airborne plans are put on hold for the time being.

Congrats man. 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

Hi Sloper.

Can I suggest that you include the Skyranger in kits you consider. We both come from similar backgrounds in clasic cars, I built my Skyranger in 2006 in my garage in Box Hill and had a ball. Since then I have done nearly 450 hours flying all over Australia.