No comment

Spin

Soon to grace our skies I believe, photo apparently taken "somewhere in Africa". Seems the professionals are no more immune from this sort of behaviour than some of us.

There is a naughty little kid in me though, that would love to have been there to witness it! Imagine those big radials blasting past at dot feet!

dc6.jpg.ef7dca02366f94629c52f8517a435228.jpg

Guest basscheffers

Here's some more photos of the bird in question: Photo Search Results | Airliners.net

Not a waterbomber by the looks of it. Coming to Australia next year!

V5-NCG Is Going To Australia 2011 - PPRuNe Forums and Home

I don't see the issue with the above photo; this could well have been a carefully set up and controlled demonstration, not some cowboy on a scheduled flight.

great times etc.

The DC-6 inspired me to try to get into airlines. I used to play tennis on a wednesday at Warners Bay at night and I would see the DC-6's go overhead out of Sydney for Port Moresby. I wanted to get on one of those. I already had a private licence. I never flew the 6, but I did get to fly the DC-4. Consolation prize. These were all magnificent aircraft, and those times were the best days of aviation that you could ever imagine.. Seriously real experience. Nothing digital. auto pilot servo's that leaked oil onto your pants.. oil transfer from an oil tank just behind the cockpit to a selected engine and a morse code keying thingy near the window of the co-pilots station. 4 rumbling P&W R-2000's boring a hole in the sky. Enough fuel to fly for 12 hours. How good does it get, but at the time I thought these things would go on forever. Well it all came to big stop about 1969, when they all went somewhere and many of these aircraft went to a sad end. Written off in some poorly organised venture. Gun running in Africa etc. Thankfully there are a couple of DC-4's here, and the DC6 IF we get it is a true lady of the skies. I don't know how these things can be funded, but I am glad that somebody does it. Nev

I bet the airlines could have used a few thousand of these around Europe during the last month or so, piston engines being less susceptible to volcanic ash than jets . . . 'wonder if there were some operating while the jets were grounded - or was it airspace closed - period.

Guest Crezzi

In the Uk the airspace was still active but IFR flights were prohibited so there wasn't much traffic. Apparently more than a few microlight pilots have taken the opportunity to practice touch & goes at some of the international airports.

I guess even volcanic clouds have a silver lining ;-)

Cheers

John

saw one takeoff from Essendon ('bout 2000years ago) lose an engine after takeoff....literally drop the engine in Port Phillip Bay

That would've been VH-INA , piloted by Captain Keith Hants - he literally had to shake the engine off before he could land!

I can remember the DC-6's in their heyday - we lived under the flightpath for 26 at YMEN.

Guest ozzie

Anyone interested in filling it up with Recreational Flying members in each city?

wonder if it has door off approval?

Ozzie

Folks,Just so you understand:

A DC-6 is a four engine aeroplane with three blade props.

A DC-7 is a three engine aeroplane with four blade props.

Regards,

Que? Three engine (?); perhaps after they had given it the Port Phillip Bay mod, but not ex factory.:confused: