Passengers Escape Injury

Guest Fred Bear

Guest Fred Bear

Via News LTD:

This happened last night at Bankstown, Sydney. Believed to be landing gear failure.

Passengers walk away from crash landing

January 18, 2007 06:39pm

Article from: AAP

A LIGHT plane has crash-landed at Bankstown airport, in Sydney's southwest, the four occupants escaping injury.

The small plane suffered minor damage when it came to a halt on a patch of grass next to the runway, around 5.30pm (AEDT).

Ambulance crews responded to the incident but all four of the plane's occupants refused treatment, an New South Wales Ambulance spokesman said.

It is not known what caused the crash landing.

Ten was reporting a small "twin engined" aircraft, yet the footage that they were showing at the time clearly represented a single engine Piper Malibu or similar. Nice plane, pity. Fixable by the look of it.

Thats the one!!!

Ch 10 also mentioned that it was an aborted takeoff with a hard landing...

But then again, having worked in the media for 25yrs as a news snapper a lot of "theories" get published as "facts" well before the truth is established..

Reminds me of an old editors saying... "why let the facts get in the way of a good story?..."

Ben

Fixable by the look of it

Fixable, but definately not cheap! :ah_oh:

Hot day with a bit of weight?, or a short field that didn't work?

Toothpicks anyone? ;)

Arthur.

Malibu.jpg.fcc24dad865a9a6c1754cb713505838f.jpg

from what i heard it was a result of an airspeed indicator failure.... exactly the same failure i had years ago in an Archer..:;)2:

unfortunately the pilot panicked and landed the plane straight away after seeing the ASI doing loops, but by then the gear had already been retracted, as you do when 5 ft off the deck:;)4:

after i had the ASI failure, the isntructor decided i needed a little limited panel work, and we had an uneventful hrs flying, with the ASI pegged at 230kts.

as far as im concerned accidents like this should not have happened...

how many have been taught to fly on a limited panel? even in the arrow days, i was instructed to never retract the gear until its no longer useful, IE, the entire length of the strip is behind you!

Update.... apparently the pitot cover was left on!

from what i heard it was a result of an airspeed indicator failure.... exactly the same failure i had years ago in an Archer..:;)2:unfortunately the pilot panicked and landed the plane straight away after seeing the ASI doing loops, but by then the gear had already been retracted, as you do when 5 ft off the deck:;)4:

after i had the ASI failure, the isntructor decided i needed a little limited panel work, and we had an uneventful hrs flying, with the ASI pegged at 230kts.

as far as im concerned accidents like this should not have happened...

how many have been taught to fly on a limited panel? even in the arrow days, i was instructed to never retract the gear until its no longer useful, IE, the entire length of the strip is behind you!

Update.... apparently the pitot cover was left on!

Most Aircraft accidents should not have happened, but as they say sh!t happens.

Apparently the pitot cover was put on AFTER the Aircraft stopped along with the control locks. The Pilot was a VERY expirenced instructor with lots of hours on high performance Aircraft including the Malibu. This same Aircraft (and pilot) has had a partial engine failure before and landed back at an airfield.

Don't take everything you read on some gossip websites as truth.