Snowy Mountain airstrips

Gday, with the long weekend coming up, i am thinking of exploring the snowy mountains by air., after searching google maps, the ERSA and country airstrip guide, i have noticed there are quite a few airstrips in the area, firstly, Adaminaby, is there good nice accommodation nearby anyone can recommend? also Jindabyne, but i also found a strip at Cabramurra! and also at Khancoban. Khancoban is listed in the country airstrip guide as Emergency use only, but there is no mention of Cabramurra airstrip anywhere, only it looks ok on Google maps..

I am also aware of the strip at Mitta Mitta and of course, Hotham and cooma polo flat.

Does anyone have any experience operating from these strips,know of their conditions, who to contact and know of good quality accommodation nearby any of them?

oh and i am using a Savannah VG for the trip, so any strip longer than 100 mtrs is ok.

Alpine airstrips.

Cabramurra is an old SMA airstrip and they operated Beavers into it. I don't know if it is useable. Hotham is suitable for feeder airlines, sealed and may need an ASIC. I have operated there. Both these dromes are at high altitude and you are fairly close to Albury controlled airspace (vertically) with Hotham. It is close to Dinner Plain. Pays to get a bit of altitude under you when departing the circuit. (orbit and climb). Khancoban is not far from Corryong (which would have accommodation). Adaminaby I have driven past a few times. It should be clear of weather, when some aren't. Not really the most exciting bit of country. Is Benambra an option? Not sure the weather will be that good. Bit of moisture in a southerly stream here at Gisborne. Nev

thanks for that Nev, plan so far is to head to Jindabyne or Adaminaby for an overnight stop, then spend the next day exploring the region, checking out Cabramurra, Khancoban, and Hotham, then overnight back at Jindy or Adaminaby before heading home the third day.

i would really love to be able to stop in at the strip at Guthega Pondage, i have camped there before, and it has to be the highest strip in Oz? very close to the perisher ski resorts,

When i was camping there the strip is in good condition, just with a few tuffs of longer grass scattered over it.

Can the old SMA and guthega strips still be used with permission? are the under the control of the Koscuisczo national park? os still the SMA?

I plan on dropping into Polo flat to say Hi!

There used to be a strip alongside Junama Pondage, the little lake beside Talbingo between Lake Talbingo and Lake Blowering, think also SMA. Not far from either Tumut or Cabramurra. You could walk into Talbingo! Reckon the Army used to operate Carabou into Cabramurra!

Guest rocketdriver

Khancoban has a backpackers a short walk from the strip .. I stayed there once when the GCV was visiting the strip and its ok! .. I think you need SMA permission to use the airfield. The strip at Geehi is controlled by national parks I believe and they are very reluctant to let you fly in (liability ... its short and tree lined). I did land there once in a Decathalon and recieved a very severe lecture from a ranger ... It is short ... but I needed to check the oil ...;)

Corryong is a good strip but a long walk to town from the strip.

If you fly into Khancoban, note that circuits are (or used to be) to the west of the strip (away from town.) This puts you over quite a high ridge on a close in downwind. If landing to the north your base leg is well out over the water and you land over the dam .... The visuals are interesting .:star:... Beware of SMA a/c which typically fly straight in approaches and sometimes operate downwind according to the direction they are arriving/departing and as convenient for the terminal .......

Note ... this info is quite a few years old and may be out of date!! .. .although the geography is the same I'm sure!!:big_grin:

Good accomodation at Khancoban can be had at Queens Cottage. It has comfortable rooms and the owner Andrew Laycock is a pilot. He flies a C210 out fo Khancoban and can give you info on the strip.There is also an outdoot spa that overlooks Khancoban Pondage. Great view. Contact him on (02) 6076-9033.

Scott

Hi Rob, 002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

Snowy Mtns is my old stamping ground, moved to Port Macquarie for better weather last November. Learned to fly at Polo Flat with Mike Apps and then spent the next 5 years punching holes through the sky over the Snowies. So, I have some familiarity with most strips in the area.

The strip at Adaminaby (126.7), known as Kennedy Airfield, is privately owned by the local aeroclub group Snowy River Aviators. Your best contact their is Adrian Menhennitt who can give you a heads up on the latest conditions and preferred ops over the field. If you would like his email and/or mobile drop me a message. The strip is a lazy 20 min walk to the township of Adaminaby, or if you're lucky someone might be there to give you a lift. Options for accommodation and meals are lean pickings but you should be able to sort something through the net or with Adrian's help. The strip is grass and runs 09/27 which is good at this time of year when the winds are predominantly westerly, but if you park overnight chances are you'll have to clean off frost and ice before getting away in the morning. On my last flight into YADY in did note that the strip was becoming fairly rough from tufty grass, not a worry if you have strong gear and good sized wheels.

Polo Flat (118.1) at Cooma is a fairly good strip with a short sealed runway 18/36 and so close to town with plenty of accommodation and food choices that it's reasonable to call a taxi, or again if lucky get a lift with someone. You should contact Mike Apps for permission before landing there and he may have undercover parking available for you.

Cooma-Snowy (118.1), the main airport, is 17km out of town. This is where I was based, and believe me it is a very quiet airport, or at least was when I was there. So unless things have changed transport into Cooma may be difficult apart from hitching. The 2120m strip is all sealed but runs 18/36 so can be a problem with westerly winds. There is a 14/32 dirt cross strip which more often than not is less than helpful for avoiding strong cross winds, esp SW and if it's been raining this is sometimes unserviceable. Again, parking is all outside and subject to winds, frost and ice. Even though hangared under shelter (three sided shed) I often had to scrape away ice before an early morning flight, brrrrr.

Jindabyne (126.7) has recently had a new road-base surface put on their 12/30 strip so has improved somewhat from the really rough surface that it was. The cross strip 09/27 is rough tufted grass. Be careful here, the field is surrounded by hills and if the westerly is blowing it will be pretty rough and sudden sink is not unusual. Of course, Jindy being a tourist town, accommodation and food is aplenty but about 3km from the field. At this time of year prices are high as this is the beginning of the ski season, also it would be wise to book ahead for a bed. Same story with parking outdoors.

Cabramurra (the highest strip in Oz) is for emergencies only. I've not landed their but have driven on it. Apart from a relatively short sealed (kind of) section it is covered in long grass and has a few hidden holes. At this time of year you can expect it to be snow covered.

Talbingo strip is located right next to the Talbingo township and next to Blowering Reservoir. I have no idea what is available for accommodation or food. As has been suggested before this strip is controlled by Snowy Hydro Limited so permission should be sought first on 0264532888.

Khancoban, as has already been said, is fundamentally a Snowy Hyrdo strip but from the air looks in pretty good shape and easy to negotiate.

Island Bend? Forget it. Too much wildlife, too much scrub, wombat and rabbit holes and at this time of year probable snow. Also, I reckon the NPWS would be a tad unhappy. From what I've assessed when flying over it looks like a preferred place to crash in an emergency over the alps, and that's about all.

Geehi, same as Island Bend, except for snow.

So, in summary. The June LWE is start of ski season. Accommodation costs will be high. Safest alternatives for landing are Cooma-Snowy, Polo Flat, Adaminaby, Jindabyne and further afield there is Tumut, Corryong and Bombala. There are of course a few private strips here and there but a friend not so long back wrote of his CT tangling with power lines across the end of one of these, so you would have to be pretty sure of what you're doing before accepting an invitation onto one of these.

Watch the weather, as with anywhere but more so over the alps, winds and clouds can catch you out without warning. Only venture over the Snowies in calm, clear skies and then be alert to changes. BTW, it is stunning on a nice day, well worth the effort.

Hope this helps. Please contact me if would like more info.

Paul

• Helpful 1
  • Informative 1

Thanks for all you help, especially Bidgee and Paul.

The plan so far is depart Wollongong, visit Polo Flat, then fly over the main range for overnight stay at Khancoban. We rang Andrew at Queens cottages and we are booked, we have permission from SHA to use the strip, very easy.

The next day i want to overfly the main range again, from Kosciuszko, perisher and other resorts. then tour the lakes then back to Jundabyne, before heading home via Adaminaby.

by the sounds of things, they would greatly appreciate a few more fly-in visitors.

Hopefully the forecast 15 cm of snow will fall Wednesday and thurs, before the big High arrives over the are for the weekend, so we should get calm weather, clear skies, and white mountains! morning frosts forecast, but the rotax loves the cold weather and has no starting issues.

I plan on overflying some of the strips i previously mentioned, but wont land at any until im more comfortable with mountain flying and begging permission to use said strips..

Thanks again for the info, its much appreciated and highlight the great resource we all have here...

Rob.

G'Day Rob

Geehi - had big mobs of roos (50+ ) camped under the trees on the river side of the strip two weeks ago. Looked like they had moved in for the winter. Even if you need to use it as a last resort it may pay to consider a bull bar 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif ( please note I was in a 4wd not flying in )

I think from what i have been told Hotham (Dinner Plain ) is something like $75 to land on in fees, so that works out to 75 cents a meter if your going to use 100 meters, me I would use full flap and ask for a price per meter and get off and stop asap, if not just use 1/4 throttle and get your moneys worth of their bitumen.

126.75 i think is the frequency and over 4000+ amsl.

Nice looking runway also, i have flown over it quite a number of times heading to Porepunkah and back

Cheers

Alf

Dont worry, there will be plenty of photos, especially now with 10 cm of fresh snow all the way to Adaminaby,

We have accommodation booked at Khancoban, and will base our flying out of there for Saturday before heading back to the coast that afternoon.

we will be flying there friday.

If time and fuel permits i might head over to Hotham to have a look before turning back for the NSW resorts.

Alternate.

If the weather goes off I will be at Porepunkah. (Near Buffallo) Not far from Hotham (west of). Will pick you up at the airport anytime. (after 1500 Sat) Call on 0408 282 246. Nev

Guest 3rd dimension

Snowy Strips

Talbingo is operated by the Snowy Hydro Scheme, I have been refused permission to land there.

Same as Cabramurra.

Safe flying.