Clecos for hire

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in being able to hire Clecos while they were building their aircraft, and then returning them when they were no longer needed?

Old Man Emu

Hi Old Man Emu

Sounds like a great idea

I am about to start a alloy build

how about posting some details or PM me. ( cost ) ( postage ) etc

Hire would be one way of looking at it , the other would be buy and then trade back when the build is finished. Other metal building items like solid riveting gear would be handy as well.

ken

• 3 weeks later...
What is the freight like for a couple of hundred clecosPeter

The US Postal Service has a couple of Flat Box rates that are very useful when getting stuff from the States. There is no weight limit, so you try to get as much into tehm as possible.

There is a $US13.50 box which is about the size of a video casette. The next size up is about $US45.

A bag of 100 Clecos is about the size of 500gms of frozen peas, so you'd get 200 Clecos into a $45 box.

When you order, specify delivery by Global Direct, and you can expect delivery within 7 - 10 days.

Don't forget to also buy a pair of Cleco pliers if you don't have any, otherwise you can't use the Clecos.

Old Man Emu

I've gone off the idea of hiring the Clecos as it could become a managerial nightmare. My original idea was that homebuilders would be working in sections and only using 20 - 30 Clecos at a time - not like in a factory where they pin whole fuselages at once. I was thinking of charging something like $5 per month for 50 Clecos, but then I considered how long these builds are taking, and realised that after 10-12 months, the hirer would have paid more than the actual cost of the Clecos.

If someone bought 50 5/32's and 50 1/8's, at the end of the build they could either keep them, or sell them off. They don't really devalue. You either lose them, or break the odd one.

Old Man Emu

• 3 weeks later...

Building something like a savannah the benefit of cnc precision kit is lost if the assembly, be it a wing or fuslage section is not fuuly assembled before riveting. 400-450 1/8" clecoes is more like what you need for a rear fuslage or wing and probrably 100 5/32". Plenty of 3/32" makes for nice straight solid riveted trailing edges. Once fully assembled everthing has to be straight and true and a good result is assured, there is just no substitue for enough clecoes wether hired or bought or borrowed.