My Flight progress - Jab 160 Bathurst

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the joy of flying! No two landings are the same, the wind speed/direction, weight of the aircraft, turbulence etc, all changing to give you a challenge and thrill each time you come in to land. For me it starts after the downwind checks and just before the turn onto base, I'm in landing mode and my brain is busily calculating, judging and feeling all the way until I'm either clear the runways or push the power for a touch n' go, that's when I'm back to take off mode which is a whole different thrill!

what do you call a good landing

the old saying is 'any landing you walk away from is a good landing, if you can use the plane again then its an excellent landing', came home from a fly the other day, my wife Liz was with me, all was good, flew the normal circuit (its a home strip but I still fly full circuit) and landed from the north as I would'nt have so far to taxi home. Did a good three pointer (even my wife said it was a good landing) just before the sock, at the same time the sock started to lift at a 90' angle from the right my thought was 'oh, a little bit of turbulence, I'm glad I beat that in' by this stage I was about 10 to 15mts. ground roll, stick right back sitting up straight looking over nose for live stock...ie. roos.etc. no more thoughts of the wind sock until the right wing lifted followed by the tail going up and over to the left, talk about quick opposite lock, full left rudder and right stick with a blast of power, run along on one wheel for maybe 3or4 seconds which seemed more like 2mins. and she settled down as smoothly as it went up ........a really good reminder that neither the flight or the landing is over until you are parked and engine off.

Cheers Davo.:raise_eyebrow:

oops wrong place...

first off.... congratulations to both you and flightygirl on your flying progress, it just keeps getting better. second...my last post "what do you call a good landing" is in the wrong place, I ment to put it in the 'general discussion' area:loopy: I hope your not confused as to why I'd put it here, I'm not up to speed on these puter things, so don't know if I can move it over or not.

Cheers Davo.i_dunno

Hi Rach, thanks , it was a nice calm day, i went flying today 1130am, it was the calmest yet. I trimmed off at 3400 ft circuit height and let go of stick, smoother then driving on the road. Fantastic day for circuits, landings really alot better today, levelling off at a better height and throttling back so much better. Really happy with the day. I have all the radio calls pretty good also, (radio scanner helps, been listening awhile). Plenty of action today with gliders, cessnas, choppers all joining the circuit today. Made for interesting flying, keeping eye on all aircraft. Pretty happy that no one really interrupted the flying though.

I go back on Tuesday for forced, flapless landings etc. Looking forward to that as well.

Dave

sounds awesome! i was also flying about today (lets face it...what day am i not flying!) went off to do more area solo work. i need 10 hours solo to be eligible to go for my passenger endorsement when i do my flying test next week. can you believe that after flying about for and hour and a half today i added up my solo time... and it came to 9.9 hours! if only i had stayed up there for a few more minutes!

just means i will have to go back up again all by myself.... hmmm... i think i can manage that! really enjoyed flying about today.... was lovely tracking up and down the coast.

plenty of traffic up there today also... good practice listening to where everyone is and figuring out how to rejoin the circuit. not so scary any more. just takes concentration.

look forward to hearing how you go on tuesday.

have fun!

Rach

This flying is addictive! I read an article recently in a flying mag, where they stated that flying is like alcohol.. haha. You just want more and more of it! At least one doesnt make you sick! (pending how well you fly i guess) lol

Rach, well done on your trip down south, bet it was so much fun. Lucky for you to have own plane which would help with so much more flying. ! Well done! I am sure your future passengers cant wait to go flying with you.. considering can only take one, will be like a toss of a coin. Good luck with that!

As with my lesson on Sunday, i really finally have got the idea of sorting out the right throttle and angle, flare as i land! Instructor was happy.

My lesson tomorrow might no go ahead, cloud cover coming over and looks like will rain tonight. Shame, but cant help the weather! Will have to wait for next week as weather looks bad until then.

Keep flying and be safe everyone!

Dave

flying is a addition

Gooday Dave

Well you got the addition. It just gets worse.011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

Our club had a open day at Cowra on Sunday Humm, did about 4 hours flying, bit flown out at the moment.

Took up one of our members and flew to his place at Greenforpe and landed on his property in a paddock, then flew around the area and back to Cowra. Then a nother member for practice, and a new member who hadn't flown a Brumby before.

At the end of the day flew out to a mates place near Orange to catch up, intresting strip to land on, up hill and pritty routh. then flew home.

But it was a good day, Weather CAVIC

Yours in flying

Mick :rotary:

Tuesday was another successful day with Flapless approaches and Landings. At first thought the weather was going to hinder our flight, not so. We had our theory on flapless and glides, emergency landings, then it was off to prepare the aircraft, mind you first had to ask many guys to help move the monster in the hangar, Glider tow parked in front of two jabs, no way on earth could you move that on your own.

By the time we got JAB out, weather was clear and actually sunny in spots.. damn forgot sunnies and was blinding a couple of times.

Flapless was quite interesting, didnt find it that bad, just a little quicker and more throttle control needed, real fine adjustments and nose up attitude for 75 knots. I managed them alright, could be better , but i was happy, so was instructor.

Next week is Forced landings.. bring it on.

I have started to study for AIR LAW and Flight radio exams soon.. get ready for solo.. im upto 14 hours now, so wont be far away.

Mick sounded like you flew yourself silly the other day! How do you get sick of flying! All fun though all the same.

Dave

Flighty, I am jealous! Right now I'm still hoping and praying that the weather will cooperate this weekend and let me finish my pre-licence check....I just need it to be nice for one hour, sigh, but right now it isn't looking too promising. By the time I actually get to do this pre-licence check I probably will've forgotten how to fly so I'll mess it up and have to do more hours before my test.

So close and yet so far....I hate winter!! 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

Next week is Forced landings.. bring it on.

Forced landings arnt too bad, remember, you can practice the procedure at home, either on flight sim, or simply sitting on the lounge and going through the checklists.

Tip, dont just remember the checks, actually make a point of doing what th check is, eg, dont just say fuel, check, actually check the fuel taps, the quantity and pressures etc.

Flighty, I am jealous! Right now I'm still hoping and praying that the weather will cooperate this weekend and let me finish my pre-licence check....I just need it to be nice for one hour, sigh, but right now it isn't looking too promising. By the time I actually get to do this pre-licence check I probably will've forgotten how to fly so I'll mess it up and have to do more hours before my test.So close and yet so far....I hate winter!! 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

hey darky,

i know the weather is frustrating. i have had a very good run up here in sydney (wollongong) the past couple of months but i think my luck might be running out..not sure the weather is going to be good enough for my pre licence check tomorrow or test on saturday. i know i am very lucky though being able to fly pretty much when i want. i have put in some major hours the past couple of months. not sick of it yet though! will have to make a nav for victoria sometime. are you near melbourne?

not long now darky! two more girls on the loose up there... woohoo! 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

Rach

The weather today canned my lesson for forced landings.. hopefully the weather holds up for 1pm tomorrow.. forecast says possible snow on higher ground tomorrow.. Certainly was bad today.. Heard Rex SAAB on radio scanner , he advised on a 10 mile final then cancelled and did go around , back upto 6000 ft for another go.. Fog had rolled in, quite a few aircraft were in holding pattern above Bathurst..

Been awhile since ive heard that occur. Last time was Bathurst 1000 races few years back when fog set in on race day, countless amount of aircraft including Lear jets, a BAE 146 , Cessnas.. Amazing to hear. The chatter between them all was quite amusing.

I had to resort to Flight sim today, no real flying! Downloaded a fantastic Cirrus SR 22, full glass cockpit.. working out the panels was fun..

Dave

hey dave,

good to hear you've already been up today! not surprising its busy today after the winds have finally died off. im about to head up for a play. going to fly within my 25 nm radius and make sure i am totally familiar with it before i take anyone up. also want to practice radio calls from different points of entry. is sounding pretty busy outside of the hangar here.

happy flying

Rach

Hey Rach, yeh it was 3 deg when i went to airport this morning, 9am. My hands froze while doing pre flight. I think it was -2 overnight though. I couldnt believe how busy it was. Gliders were already were up and flying, many departing aircraft, REX Saab on tarmac while run up was done. Taxiied out to Rwy 17, another jab following us down behind us. It sure was a busy day, looking around everywhere .. I only made 4 touch n go as we just had so much happening. I need more practice for sure, i was happy what i did, the Jab sure does like to glide with idle power.

Have fun today with your training area flight, will be good today. Not cloud in the sky here, so i hope its same for you.

When do you think will take your first passenger up!

I did the Pre Solo Air Leg exam and passed, happy with that, have the Flight Radio exam next, maybe next week, been studying though, should be pretty right.

Have a great flight and talk later

Dave

Hi Mick, no i didnt fly today, sounded busy on CTAF from my scanner at home. . Im back on Tuesday, hopefully weather heading this way doesnt disturb that again.

It was a brilliant day here.. would of been great to be up in the air . Instructor is at White Cliffs with many others until Monday i believe.

I wait to Tuesday.. 15.1 hours up and counting!

Dave

Gooday Dave

yer the was weather good i hat to pick up a pilot from forbes and take them to coota.

There was hardly a bump in the sky. came back @ 500ft AGL that was fun.

Look forward to catch up soon probly your next open day.

Hope the weather is goood to you next week.

Yours in flying

Mick

Hi Mick, Sounds like you had a good day flying, would of been nice to go up again, will try and get 2 flights this week or maybe even three , see what happens with weather. Flying home 500ft would of been nice.

Will find out when open day will occur again.

Keep well and let you know how i go tomorrow with my forced landings again.

Dave

Another great flying day, forced landings again and a couple of normal circuits! My first glide was better than my normal approach, go figure. Had a couple of not so normal landings, manageable though. All up we did 8 circuits, mostly glides, with a whirlywind thrown in on 3rd touch n go to scare me half to bits, caught it only just with rudder.. All up was quite happy with the day. Another day in air tomorrow morning..

16.3 hours and counting.

Dave