Jabiru 2200 Engine Failure during Flight

duarte07

Last Friday (18-06-2010) I was obliged to make a Forced Landing on a beach in Portugal due to a problem that happened with one Jabiru (2200 series) during flight in my Pioneer 200 CS-UPK. The exhaust valve adjuster got loose inside cylinder head nº 3 leading to a partial loss of power and huge engine vibrations. The engine berth withstood the vibrations, otherwise this incident would have been fatal. The cause was human error in maintenance.

If you want to know more please follow these links and visit my blog, where I published pictures showing the airplane rescue and the engine parts that failed :

Forced landing

Jabiru 2200 Engine Failure

I wish you all good flights ...

Best I can determine is that the locknut was not tightened, resulting in the rocker eventually not opening. Since it was the exhaust, it would cause the engine more stress and vibration than if it was the inlet. Can't really blame Jabiru for this one. When you work on an aeroplane you check everything, This would have been left loose after a tappet adjustment. Good effort with the landing. Hope the plane is not damaged.... Nev