Replacing Spark Plug Caps Rotax 582?

ozzietriker

Gday Chaps,

Two of my spark plug caps wobble slightly when sitting on the spark plug head and have no doubt worn out (expected as my engine & trike is over 10 years old).

Thought that I might as well replace all of them at the same time so I ordered 4 from Wade Air and was surprised they are different to the reddish/orange ones that I have fitted. These are black 5K Ohm suppressed plug caps LB05EP (pic attached) out of curiosity does anyone have these fitted on their Rotax 582? and will it be safe to fit these plug caps instead? will there be any ill effects to my engine performance?

thanks in advance

Dennis

1861905872_SDC18506(Small).JPG.52a9f8e7df7b1f9ebc10a3e87cb59b54.JPG

Dennis,

I have a question, do you use the solid tip spark plugs or the ones with a srew on tip?

The reason I ask this is the screw on tip plugs will wear the inner of your caps out.

Always use the solid tip spark plugs.

On your question I dont think it should make too much difference with these plug caps from Wade Air as you would think they should know what they are doing will parts for different types of aircraft @ engines.

I guess you could get the same type as you have originallyfrom Bert Floods at about $30+ each cap, i paid $27 for each cap about 4 years ago for my 582 so i really would hate to see the cost of them now.

But as they say there is no price on safety in aviation so if your uncomfortable with what you got change them out.

Cheers

Alf

Hi Alf,

i've always used the solid tip spark plugs only mate, it's an assumption of mine too that they know what they are selling. Just wondering whether if anyone has these fitted on their donk.

cheers

Dennis

Screw on tips are a liability. Better with the solid. IF you are stuck and only have the others, crush the brass piece to oval slightly, so it screws onto the thread tightly I still worry about the caps coming off on these engines. Have seen ZIP ties used successfully..Nev

Guest Maj Millard

Years ago we found that securing the plug caps with tyraps (one cap to the other) stopped the caps rattlling which wears the alloy plug top eventually. Then you get a slight miss or rough running because one plug is not firing as it should. Tyraps solve the problem well and saves you plug caps which are now over $40 each to replace........................................... .....Maj..

Dennis,I have a question, do you use the solid tip spark plugs or the ones with a srew on tip?

The reason I ask this is the screw on tip plugs will wear the inner of your caps out.

Always use the solid tip spark plugs.

On your question I dont think it should make too much difference with these plug caps from Wade Air as you would think they should know what they are doing will parts for different types of aircraft @ engines.

I guess you could get the same type as you have originallyfrom Bert Floods at about $30+ each cap, i paid $27 for each cap about 4 years ago for my 582 so i really would hate to see the cost of them now.

But as they say there is no price on safety in aviation so if your uncomfortable with what you got change them out.

Cheers

Alf

Hi Alf,

The last SST I bought from Airborne had the screw top plugs.

I personally have never had a problem using them on two 582's and four 912's (maybe I don't keep them long enough )

Thanks Gents, as I mentioned before that I have only been using the solid post spark plugs.

I have never ever used the screw top plugs and getting back to my original question: can I use these black 5K Ohm suppressed plug caps LB05EP pic attached above which were supplied by Wade Air on my 582? will there be any ill effects to engine performance?

cheers

Hi Alf,The last SST I bought from Airborne had the screw top plugs.

I personally have never had a problem using them on two 582's and four 912's (maybe I don't keep them long enough )

Len,

From what i can recall the 912's have the screw type plugs as your plug lead goes over the threaded part of the plug.

The 582 plug leads go over the whole plug, the reason you dont use the screw on ones for the 582 is the alloy screw on cap wears out the i guess you would call grippers inside the plug lead cap. (the solid caps are steel)

I had to replace 2 of mine when i had my old 582 for this reason, from what i recall Wal at Bert Floods passed this info on when i sent away for the new lead caps.

Cheers

Alf

Hi Nev,

yes exactly - i'm concerned of the fact that a resistor is incorporated in the cap.

This concept is used for EMI suppression in motor vehicles, difference being here - the spark produced by the ignition units on a 582 is very weak hence why the spark plug gap is set to only 0.48mm instead of 0.7mm like most other engines.

So not sure whether if this resistor incorporated in the plug cap will affect performance, any ideas?

thanks in advance

Resistor Plugs/Caps/Leads.

I do a lot of work with magneto's and open circuited or high resistance secondary (HT) is a bad idea.. Causes point burn and the likelihood of an internal short(arcing) in the coil itself. This is an instant failure when it happens. CDI systems can be killed when a plug lead comes off. (Open circuit).

Resistors are installed for radio interference suppression and can have a beneficial effect on plug point life. IF this is not a concern I would NOT use them. You'll get a hotter spark and more reliability without them...Nev

Guest Andys@coffs

I thought the spark plugs used on a 582 had a resistor built into them (BR8ES rings a bell) using a cap that also has a resistor is then a bad idea. That said, I believe there is a non resistive plug with the same (other than resistor) charateristics (B8ES from memory) if the cap then has the resistor and you use the non resistive plug then all is Ok....notwithstanding that its not how rotax make them. So that is an option. The resistor is in circuit in series between the spark gap and the coil. Whether its in the cap or in the plug, between the terminal and the center electrode makes zero difference electrically, though I suggest that the likelyhood of someone, you or perhaps the next owner putting BR8ES plugs back in is high and therefore should be avoided if possible as an option

When mine wore out on the 582 I went to a big motor bike shop and got non resistive caps there without any issue, seems they are a commonly replaced part on bikes...And this, in my opinion, is a better option.

Andy

Thanks Andy & Nev for your advice, I totally understand where you are coming from and I agree with you both. Fitting those caps would have been a big trap, i'll get the non resisitive type. Can't believe Wade Air sold me that type of cap without asking.

thanks again for your help Gents

tailwings always

Dennis :thumb_up: