Air van Crash at Orange airport 6 july

Hi all,

Just saw on news that a Air van crashed at Orange after clipping top of hangar and nosedived, luckily the 43 yo pilot wasnt hurt too badly. Aircraft was on a delivery from Parkes to Orange when the accident happened.

Plane nosedives into tarmac after clipping hangar - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Dave

had a look at the met observations at the time...temp around 3.8c, dew point 3.7c, humidity 99% with a brisk SW breeze..

I know Orange quite well, and it has its own microclimate... an average of a five degree drop in temp as you come over the hill into town from Parkes.

So the fog issue is well known.

But, I always thought you had to have still air to form a fog.. question.gif.c2f6860684cbd9834a97934921df4bcb.gif

Ben

Guest ozzie
I know Orange quite well, and it has its own microclimate... an average of a five degree drop in temp as you come over the hill into town from Parkes.So the fog issue is well known.

But, I always thought you had to have still air to form a fog.. question.gif.c2f6860684cbd9834a97934921df4bcb.gif

Ben

[inspector Luke Rankin said it was still unclear why the accident happened or if the foggy conditions were a contributing factor]

The field probably looked good from overhead but visbility probably became poorer as he came in to land. similar event happened at bathurst some years back with a MU2 accident

"Normal" fog usually happens when calm air cools by radiation to a temperature where condensation occurs. This is when the wet and dry bulb temps co-incide. FOG may form when cool air descends from a mountain and encounters moist air lower down at lower level. Low cloud even to ground level can form when air rises due to topographical factors, ( mountain range/coastal cliffs) with wind blowing. To an observer on the ground or just above it, this will look just like fog and does not move away with the wind flow because it is being formed constantly, just like a lenticular cloud forms at a base level and sits in the one place even though it may be caused by quite strong winds. Common in New Zealand." the Land of the Long White Cloud". The problem with fog and some low cloud is that when you are looking down you can see through it. On approach because of the "slant " view through the cloud/fog not so easy. Can catch you out. Nev

OK, I've never been to Orange so I've just looked it up on Google-earth. Now, it's said something about coming from the South West so one asks, was he on a straight in approach to the grass runway? As far as I can see, that would, if misaligned, put him in line with a couple of hangers. The only other alternative would have him flying parallel to the paved strip. Which ever it was, what the hell was he thinking to attempt a landing anyway? Gethomeitus?

Just glad to hear he's ok though.