How do you juggle nav paperwork?

Guest burbles1

What I want to know is.......who in their right mind would put a throttle between their legs in the first place??????? :confused:

The harder you pull the faster you go... 040_nerd.gif.a6a4f823734c8b20ed33654968aaa347.gif

Guest check-in

I have made a crude hand-drawn flight log form which has waypoint, track, distance, groundspeed, ETI and ETA columns, plus space on the right side to write down area and CTAF frequencies, runway direction and elevation. All done before departure then bulldog-clipped to back of the chart (s) being used, so that the log is face-up when the chart is flipped over. No kneeboard as I reckon it's something that could jam something (in the Sonex, probably my cojones).

The flight log has been deliberately kept simple (no wind, TAS or heading columns) to allow space for the most useful stuff from ERSA to be transferred across. ERSA is kept within reach between the seats just in case of a diversion, but rarely consulted in flight.

The only 'tool' used in flight is a pencil and mental arithmetic. The old RAAF guy who taught me x-country nav more than 45 years ago insisted on careful planning at the pre-flight stage, but then made me lock the protractor and whizz wheel in the rear baggage compartment for the actual flights. A chart, log, ruler and pencil was all that was allowed in the cockpit. He was an exponent of the KISS rule long before we thought of such acronyms.

What I want to know is.......who in their right mind would put a throttle between their legs in the first place??????? :confused:

I thought the same when I first saw it, but it's actually much better for fine control than the later Jab push-in, pull-out throttle on the panel when it comes to making small adjustments. I would have preferred the old control was moved across to the left had side of the seat. I wonder if you could mount it on the door?? (Oops. Getting a little off topic. Sorry! i_dunno)

• 8 months later...
...I'm one of those suckers who bought an iPad (only after picking it up and then realising what great potential it has to be a very useful tool). Since then I've downloaded all the aviation material I could find, including PDF versions of the ERSA, POH's, Flight Guides, User guides for the GPS and other avionics and stored them on it. Them and a few apps that I'm still trying to figure out whether they're any good or not. A challenge is working out how best to organise them so that the parts I want/need are easily and quickly accessed....Smooth skies,

Heya, Im just interestd to know how the organisation went with your iPad. Any tips or hints you could share? I'm not even up to that stage in my training in carrying out xcountry but it's interesting nonetheless reading peoples thoughts and ideas.

Heya, Im just interestd to know how the organisation went with your iPad. Any tips or hints you could share? I'm not even up to that stage in my training in carrying out xcountry but it's interesting nonetheless reading peoples thoughts and ideas.

Hey Jerra,

Since I'm still learning the basics myself, I've not yet actually used my iPad in flight. I feel I need to get comfortable with the "traditional" tools before I start converting to the iPad versions. Even then, I reckon the iPad is more of a backup tool rather than the main means of navigating; although that view could change down the track.

Having said that, I do use it on the ground a lot. I've just discovered NAIPS for the iPad and it's great. Can't wait for OzRunways to become fully functional (moving maps) in the next release.

No doubt though - it does beat having to carry a few tree loads of books and papers around!

Cheers,

Last time I heard of an iPad being used in flight it overheated and froze. I photocopy the maps onto A4 and write everything on them and staple them together, and put them down the side of the seat, and use only that and a pencil. Everything else is planned beforehand. I gave up on the knee board, but will use it as a handy place to clip loose bits like ERSA pages for reference onto, but they are in the back for if I really need them. I stopped using the knee board because even though mine is small it gets in the way and is a distraction on landing. So I used to take it off as soon as I joined the circuit, now I don't bother much at all with it.

So in summary I don't juggle paperwork, I have eliminated it. No tables or anything but the map with all the info written on it in flight. Everything else is used, but before I take off.