talking engines

i am doing some research for a presentation to our club and am looking for examples of where the pilot does not listen to his engine and this causes accidents. had one where the pilot said on a bit short landing he gave it gas and "you know how it sort of hesitates before going to full power" plane engines do not hesitate, he was not listening to his motor talking to him and of cause landed short and had some damage..

so if anyone has any examples of this kind of thing i would love to get the general details for my presentation.

thanks

we had one guy in the club who had his engine burp and sort of stall on him but not quite die, he opened the cowling, checked the wires, checked the fuel lines etc and figure, must just have a been a bad spot and took off again, of course he stall completely at 100' and crashed, was a fuel blockage that was fine at idle but got worse at full flow. this is the sort of thing i am looking for.

tony

Hi tiketyboo,If it`s stories you want,I could give you a couple but the one that came to mind immediately is this one,happened quite a while back but relevant just the same.

I was instructing on behalf of our local club, in a Maxair Drifter with a Rotax 503 engine and without warning the engine lost a little power for a few seconds,I immediately returned to the field and landed without incident.

That night at an executive club meeting I reported what had happened and said that I thought something was wrong with the motor and that the aircraft shouldn`t be used again,until furthur investigation.

One of the members who also flew the aircraft said he`d flown the aircraft a few days earlier and that there was nothing wrong with it and to try and prove his point, he took the aircraft flying the next morning.

Mid morning I got a phone call that the aircraft had gone down in a cow paddock just up the road,he had flown over another one of our executive members house and the guy on the ground could hear the engine misfiring,the pilot was trying to get back to our field, (which is my strip,by the way),just as he flew past the house the engine stoped and he came down in the cow paddock,he had to go over a fence and under power lines then try and miss the cows.

The crankshaft was broken in half,a piston was extremely damaged and numerous other damage,the engine was destroyed,fortunately the pilot was not hurt.

Moral of the story: Always investigate the slightest hiccup, before it`s too late.

Cheers,

Frank.

Ps,Sorry it`s a bit long.

Hi Mate, when i was training, i had a couple of partial failures.Anyway the one that sticks to my mind, was when i was in the training area .The engine wasnt sounding right i went back to the field, i told the CFI about it.He sent 2 Instructors out in the A/c, they did a circuit, every to them sounded OK. They then tracked to the coast over a pine forest, flying time only a few minutes.Anyway the engine died on them completely failed.They landed on a forestry road, the width between trees not much more than the wing span.They walked away OK from it but ripped the gear off. All i could say was "i told you it didnt sound right LOL". Is this the stories you are looking for ?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok not sure if this is the same thread i looked in before or not but here is a classic NOT listening to your motor, the motor slows and burgs about 5 secs before it shuts down, when it happened he was over the road, a lot better out come i would think.

Symptoms of impending failure.

Have heard people say something like " Oh it's OK. It's been making that noise/vibration for weeks". To justify keeping on using it. (Doesn't work that way). Nev.