Can I train in my own aircraft?

Hi all

I know I am putting the cart before the horse a bit, but the oppurtunity to buy an aircraft has presented itself before the oppurtunity to get a licence.

I want to know if I can be trained in a 19 reg aircraft (assuming the instructor is willing and appropriate insurance sort) or does the aircraft have to be 24 reg. I thought that if you were the registered owner of an aircraft then you could be trained in it regardless.

Thanks

Tim

Guest Crezzi

I don't wish to ruffle any feathers here but I thought 95.55 only allowed the builder(s) of kit aircraft to be trained in them ?

Cheers

John

... I thought 95.55 only allowed the builder(s) of kit aircraft to be trained in them ?

That'd be this bush lawyers interpretation too. 040_nerd.gif.a6a4f823734c8b20ed33654968aaa347.gif Doesn't matter though. :ne_nau:

The hanging judge will drop in later and condemn us all to death anyway. :ymca:

Thanks all, thats a load off! Have spoken to a trainer that will be willing to train me in the new plane so should save me some coin!

Guest Crezzi

From CAO 95.55

4.1 (a) the aeroplane must not be used for any purpose other than:

(i) private operations (other than agricultural operations); or

(ii) if the aeroplane has been wholly built and assembled by a commercial manufacturer — flying training to enable a person to obtain a pilot certificate;

<snipped>

4.2 In spite of sub-subparagraph 4.1 (a) (ii) and subparagraph 4.1 ©, if a person has wholly built or assembled an aeroplane to which this section applies, or a

group of persons has wholly built or assembled such an aeroplane, then, that person, or each of those persons, may use the aeroplane for their personal flying training.

Seems pretty unambiguous to me - only the original builder(s) can legally be trained in non-factory built plane.

Cheers

John

Guest Crezzi
read part (ii) of 4.1... if it was built by a commercial manufacturer it can be used for 'private' training by the owner...

Actually that part says "if the aeroplane has been wholly built and assembled by a commercial manufacturer". A 19 rego aircraft has been, at a minimum, assembled by the builder(s) otherwise it would be 24 rego. Hence it can't be used for training other than in accordance with para 4.2 .

there are a fair few examples, mainly surrounding savvys that are 19-xxxx used for training, and by people who didnt have anything to do with the builds, because a commercial manufacturer built it.

The fact that they have been (or are being) used for training doesn't prove that its legal. Perhaps the FTF was not aware that the student hadn't built the aircraft. I certainly wouldn't like to think that they were ignorant of the rules or that they had deliberately ignored them.

Cheers

John

95.55 only allowed the builder(s) of kit aircraft to be trained in them ?

Yes and No.

Just rang our Ops manager, Training in 19-**** rego aircraft is Ok if you bought it and are not the builder, if you are doing Nav training or other training other than ab initio.

A quick phone call to head office gave an answer;

A 19-nnnn registered aircraft that you did not build or assemble yourself, cannot be used for training for a pilot certificate, even if you do own it.

I have an e-mail at hand from Mr Ungermann confirming the what Ultralights and the lovely Leanne at RAA HQ have said and will post it here when I receive his OK to do so.

Well, I'm convinced, thanks for the leg work everyone! I did want to buy a second hand 19 reg to do all of my training but looks like thats a no go, never mind will train in the instructers brand new jab 170 instead.

Thanks again

Tim,

Don't let it dampen your spirit. If it's a good buy, grab it! It's only for the basic certificate part of the training that you can't use it. Once you get that, you can use the 19 reg for your pax endo, cross country and any others that you desire.

Cheers!

(Lee still hasn't replied to my request to post his answer to the forum)