How to build a hangar?

Guest basscheffers

Guest basscheffers

I have been looking at the option of constructing a hangar. How do people go about this? The Google doesn't seem to provide much answers. Does anyone make kits? I can't imagine putting a kit together would be too hard. How much would these things cost? (slab excluded, just a basic shed.)

I bought a kit off Aussie Garages about 10 years ago, but I am sure they are still making them. You could also look at "Sheds on line" They used to have a good web site which would allow you to practically design what you wanted and price it. Not sure if it still does that as the company has changed hands.

The hangar i put up was a kit, cant remember the name now, it was 14m deep 13m span by 2.8m high opening plus pitch of roof, the kit was super easy to go together, myself and my 3 kids(under 14) got it up and sheeted in 3 days, kit cost about 18k, slab was about the same.

Guest rotor138

From the looks of the ones out Gawler they are just a shed with sliding doors and the door rails extend past the sides of the shed so that the doors open level with the walls.

A basic hangar is essentially a means of securing your machine against the elements/unwanted visitors and, as previous posters have pointed out, can be reasonably cheaply achieved. Consequently, make the following your primary considerations: what do I actually need/want and what will the authorities (airport mgmt, flying club, local council etc) allow/require? A 6m X 12m basic steel shed having sliding door access across one end and with 2nd-hand carpet on a compacted earth floor can be quite an economical and effective hangar if you are prepared to be a bit unorthodox and park your two-seater on a suitable pneumatic-tyred dolly and house it sideways in the shed. From that lowest cost starting point (viz no 12m 'clear span' trusses required) you can go as far towards the other end of the spectrum (full living quarters, airconditioned workshop etc) as your imagination, your wife and your bank manager will allow. Happy hunting.

Cheers Riley

Guest basscheffers

Thanks for the advice so far! Another thing I guess would be worth considering is building a larger hangar and renting out space. If someone is willing to give you a mortgage, $100K over 15 years should be no more $900/month. $300/month per tennant (assuming $100K will build you something mortgagable that holds 3 aircraft) and you've really invested nothing up front.

Has anyone done this?

At YGWA we recommend AMACE Industries at McLaren Vale (sorry haven't got a number on me). They produce a kit and have a builder, or you can put it up yourself. A 15.6x15.6 hangar can hold upto 5 aircraft (depending on size of course), fully erected with concrete slab is about $55,000 to $60,000. a 12.6x12.6 is around the $40-$42K mark. Hangar rent will depend on the aircraft footprint. RV4's and 6's are around the $185, Cessna's 172,182 etc and Piper PA-28's around the $230 to $240 mark. Jabiru 170's and 230's take up a fair bit of space so they are around the $200 mark.

Please do check your lease conditions, some places keep the hangar once the lease has expired.

Cheers, Richard.

Guest basscheffers
if u can get $300/month per tenent....start building...u have invented a "golden egg" scheme!!

I am no expert, but I have seen many threads in the past here about people who pay that kind of money. Not to mention the constant complaint of a lack of hangars...

What's your experience in this regard? What do people pay where you are?

Guest basscheffers

Rod: definitely; I don't see the need for a slab myself, depending on soil/drainage, of course. I have seen some very neat hangars with a floor made of nothing more than compacted ruble and rugs over it.

That's great info and advice Richard, thanks!

Have had 2nd hand carpet laid over the dirt floor in the hangar floor for a couple of years now. It really helps keep the dust down and is much nicer to lay down on when you have to get under the aircraft.

Best of all, it didn't cost anything. There's always plenty to choose from come council clean up time.

Cheers,

Glen

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Redair

[ATTACH]11697.vB[/ATTACH][ATTACH]11698.vB[/ATTACH][ATTACH]11696.vB[/ATTACH]A bit late to the party, but here's a quick breakdown of building costs, based on the renovation of an existing shed. Everything was ripped down apart from the uprights and the roof.

Groundworks $660, tin & steelwork $6,300, concrete $6,800 (this included making up the level, steel, supply and lay), hired help $900.

It all depends how, where and what you want to build. I was quoted just over $11,000 for a complete kit, (10m x 9m) from one company, although this did not include delivery or concrete.

The way I went was not quick, not easy, and still not cheap, but at least it is finished. The only thing I need to worry about now... is will the plane fit inside!!!!

Regards, Redair.

DSCF0091.thumb.jpg.c1ef0ab735df18f7b5b57462ec38abd9.jpg

DSCF0007.thumb.jpg.579a2e7dd670de39b5ddcb94aaa61765.jpg

DSCF0070.thumb.jpg.288d0702b9275499fff44ed7d5f45340.jpg

This site may be of some assistance: Sheds Online - Rural, Domestic, Commercial Steel Buildings it's not dedicated to hangars but more sheds (the same thing really?) I think hangars are just like anything else aviation related, just because it stores your plane, you'll pay 2x more.

-Andrew

I'm just in the process of building a hangar at Frogs Hollow. I did a lot of asking around and the cheapest I found was Sheds Online. Easy do deal with so far, but I haven't got the product yet, just paid the deposit and got the drawings.

I'm paying $14000 for 12m by 20m by 2.7 at eaves. But I'll have to make up my own door system. Will add another thousand or 2.

Earthworks I expect to be $1000, and I can do most of the work myself.

And $3000 or so in council fees

I'm hoping to fit 4 planes in it. One Cessna 150 will buy in at 5000 for life (a friend of mine) the others I'm thinking of about $50 a week.

At that rate it will take 3 years to pay itself off and I get a free hangar.

Floor will be dirt until I get some good idea. I have a friend on the council but he can't arrange for some bitumen to fall off the back of a truck :( (joke)

Terms of the lease for the land are 'handshake' meaning that technically Eric owns the hangar as soon as I put it there and I trust him not to kick me out, and he lets me put it there for nothing for an indefinite time.