Adf.....

OK so its being my ambition for a long time since i was about 4 to fly Aircraft for the ADF preferable jets or choppers for the army know im 16 i plan on going for my Y.O.U session to get a better idea of what will give me the "edge" in selection, iv gotten as much info as i can from the websites and phaphletts they hand out but if any one on this forum is ex-military pilot or has any ideas as to what they look for or what makes a perfect pilot candidate please let me know either post or if its a bit longer or you want to know specifics PM me :D any help would be appreciated

Cheers all CK

I'm ex RAAF, not aircrew though. I'm thinking you will need year 12, and high marks in maths for starters. There are a few interviews along the way as well (selection boards). The military selection process is quite long and involved - psyche testing, fitness testing etc. All ADF positions require aptitude testing, whch is something you can't really practise for. The Aircrew selection process is very competitive. Hope this helps:) ps civilian flying qualifications would be an advantage - it would show aptitude and ability.

My cousin is in the Airforce, he went through some pretty tuff tests to get there I can tell you. They need you to be absolutely perfect In Health!!

He also did a Degree in Engineering at ADFA first. He then got trained up at Tamworth in the CT's or whatever. Then gets sent around the country doing all sorts. Was dog fight practicing in a Hawk the other day at Tindal.... Jealous!!!! :big_grin:

Sorry, but that is about as much as I know - where there's a will there's a way. So we'll soon be reading about you CK!

Guest eland2705

Mate, Call 13 19 01 and set up a "YOU day" with your local Recruiting Unit. As you are 16 now, this is the right time to start. The whole process takes about 18 months to get through it. You have three choices of aviation in the Defence Forces, Navy (rotor-wing), Army (rotor-wing) and Air Force (fast jets - F/A18, transport - C130, C-17, King Airs, and recon & surveillance - B737 Wedgetail, P3-C Orions etc to name a few). Take a good look on the internet at the RAAF, Army web sites as you will be asked questions about it all, the more you are aware of what your going to do as a Career the happier the Career Officer is about you.

On your YOU day you will be tested, some aptitude, some mathematical, some cognitive and at the end your Interviewing Member will show you what you are open for.

If you are going for Pilot, be aware it is very very strongly contested, and that you may have to settle for air crew to get in. Once your in, of course, you can re-apply for Pilot training later down the track. Usually you have a better chance because you know the ropes better and are able to better judge the system.

As John said, aim at a science/physics/maths Enter Score and be prepared for a lot of hurry up and wait.

Good luck, and may the Force be with you.

Regards

Guest Redair

Hi there, it might be a good idea to try and get your recreational flying certificate... that way, you'll have some flying experience, and you will also have a chance to sit some exams, as well as do plenty of reading and learning. See how this goes, then imagine it multiplied by about 10.... that should give you an idea of what will come, if you want to fly jets. The more time and effort you put into school/university etc. can only help. Degrees seem to count for a lot these days, (in fact for quite a few years now). Also don't imagine you are the only one who wants that job... there will be lots of competition. Now, if that hasn't put you off.... Go for it with everything you have, and good luck.

Redair.

I gather you are looking at entry via ADFA? If so you have to pass a Officer Selection Board and have/sitting for, subjects that would allow you to enter a major university. For pilot that should be more science than arts.

Defence is able to be very selective. Team sports, fitness, education very important. However that is not everthing. I have sat on these selection boards as a member and not every one selected is Dux or a member of the 1stXV. The aim is for a well balanced above average person.

Best of luck.

cheers for the response guys.... would doing a year of AME work in the commercial sector help? yeh iv being told the process is very very competative.... iv got 2 C/D math and year 10 Science im thinking but considering doing external studies in physics. im not to keen to go for my YOU day yet because i dont want to start the application procces and i dont think my academic side is up to standard but i do have numerous questions mainly regarding the standards required and what the officer selection bord and recruitment officers are looking for as the website is inconslusive on this

I don't know for certain, but I heard that they prefer you to not have any prior flight training because then you already have habits that they mightn't like and they then have to untrain/retrain you. As I said, I don't know for certain, but it might be worth checking before you do too much flight training. :)

I don't know for certain, but I heard that they prefer you to not have any prior flight training because then you already have habits that they mightn't like and they then have to untrain/retrain you. As I said, I don't know for certain, but it might be worth checking before you do too much flight training. :)

I have heard that from time to time when i was in the RAAF.But i did know a few pilots who had a PPL and/ or ultralight experience , prior to enlistment.The thing is, if i remember correctly.You go and do a flying asessment,before they accept you.Not sure about it now though.Just basic flying to see if the person can pick it up, quickly or not.Also, they have set hours to accomplish certain stages in their training.Eg- hours to solo, if you dont make it in a certain time, your gone.They are trained quickly with ALOT of and constant theory and flying training.If you fall behind, on a particular thing, you have to get up to speed on that PLUS keep learning the new stuff. At least if you have previous flying experience, the flying part will be easier for you, the stick and rudder flying etc. But Darky has a good point, i have heard of the untrain/retrain. All of the above is what i have heard from from RAAF pilots from time to time when i was in.Its not set in concrete or anything.It could be incorrect.

This is concrete- To Airframe fitters i knew at Amberley, remusted to Aircrew training, they both had PPL's. Sometimes it is good to get your foot in the door by getting into the RAAF by doing another trade, and then study for a few years etc and then try to remusted into aircrew training.Another friend of mine i worked with, tried for aircrew, a few times, didnt quite make the grade.But he ended up a Air Traffic Controller.

You have age on your side, your young enough CC.

My cousin who entered had a GFPT in a CT-4, same aircraft they train you in for starters.

He basically did it to make sure it's what he wanted to do, and also it gave him an idea how quick he picked it up. I also heard that they like you to be fresh so they can train you how they want. But having an idea wouldn't hurt.

One thing that might be worth doing is checking whether you are colour deficient. I found out the hard way (at the recruitment centre) and it is relatively common (fail the Ishihara and its all over - Farnsworth doesn't count for ADF pilot).

They are looking for LEADERSHIP ability (both proven and potential). You have to market yourself as a complete package - physical fitness, mental fitness, intelligence, and ability to lead and have command presence. It comes down to the fact that you are an Officer first and foremost. Flying ability (academic performance etc etc) is important but I think you can really get one up on the competition knowing that its all about leadership (get involved with rural firefighters, school leadership, community organisations with that in mind - get as much leadership experience as you can).

Also, study hard mate at school, unless you have a OP of 1.(i think that is what is is these days).My day, it was a TE score.Anyway, unless you have a OP of 1.They wont accept you, for aircrew.It is extremely competitive.But, as i have mentioned before, guys have gone into the RAAF, as other trades, studied subjects they where lacking in and have made it in the end.Good luck Mate

unless you have a OP of 1.They wont accept you, for aircrew.

When I was at ADFA (06/07) the BTech Avn cadets (pilots) had OPs in the range of 1-5. They certainly DID NOT all have OP1s - there were about 13 in my year and from memory i think 3 were OP1s equivalent. Nevertheless they were all had very good marks (as did every other cadet there).

When I was at ADFA (06/07) the BTech Avn cadets (pilots) had OPs in the range of 1-5. They certainly DID NOT all have OP1s - there were about 13 in my year and from memory i think 3 were OP1s equivalent. Nevertheless they were all had very good marks (as did every other cadet there).

OK i will re-phrase that, "you will have to have very good marks."

Im 40 years old they didnt have OP scores when i was at school.Anyway they are looking for the best, they can find.

I once wanted to be a Pilot in the RAAF going through ADFA then onto Pilot Training, or whatever. But was deterred because I am really not good at Maths and Maths is a major requirement, so it seems. But after seeing 'The First Six Weeks' series of podcasts I still think ADFA would be great. I'm contemplating to try to become a Logistics Officer in the RAAF through ADFA getting a Bachelor of Business. I'm not 100% sure but I think I read they read your reports from like year 9 or 10 to year 12. And leadership is really important in becoming a Airforce Officer so I have taken a few leaderships within school and the community, as it seems I have had quiet a lot of leadership roles within primary school and have decided to take on some leadership roles this year in year 9, just incase it is an advantage. But yeah, if you really want it, work hard!

:D

thanks for all the info guys its a huge help and i will definetly be working hard i plan on going for an interview at the end of year 11 (this year) with my marks and try to gauge the probability and chances of me being accepted if not i will have to go back and do mature age schooling but im hoping that my leadership activities and awards like the gold duke award and my role as an air force cadet warrent officer will be a posotive influence and aid my lower academic subjects as i have only done 2c/d math and 2a/b english

thanks for the input guys

cheers CK