I don't know what type you are building or what components and even if I did I wouldn't know what margins or limitations there are on stiffness, strength and balance. I don't know what you mean by a higher rating but I'd be interested in things like:

• weight

• modulus of rupture

• modulus of elasticity

• compressive strength parallel and perpendicular to the grain

• shear strength

Easy to get a wood with a higher strength than spruce but you need to ask why most designs specify spruce. It may turn out to be a good option for you, and certainly a lot cheaper.

I recall one aeroplane many years ago where the builder substituted a different wood - he didn't have a lot of useful load left with all the extra weight.

Wood

Hi Pete...I contemplated that last weekend actually. I purchased some Tassie Oak for my jig to hold the spruce for my build. The pine there was to crooked to be any good. The oak was straight but seems very dense and heavier than the Spruce I have here. Smells nice too!

As I was told when organising mine. The Spruce is a small part of the cost of the whole plane. The Spruce for my Air Camper will be a little over $1000 so is it worth trying to find an alternative...probably not but thats your choice. There is a guy here in Newcastle that can supply Spruce in what ever size you need.

What are you looking at building?

Scotty keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif

• 2 months later...

Hiya Pete, I would think Tas Oak (Gum Tree) would be too heavy, I have often thought Celery top pine would be agood alternative to spruce and then i would think Hoop pine would be in the same strength /weight of Celery, If you find a supplier of Hoop could you let me know, need to make a prop.

Cheers Paul.