Hi everyone from the UK, but not forever!

Guest Chris Rhoades

Guest Chris Rhoades

:pig: Well, here we come folks. My wife and I hope to get to Aus in the next 3 years or so, just the matter of saving all we can to give us the best possible start in your wonderful country.

We intend to spend as many retirement years as possible in Kadina or Wallaroo in the Yorke Peninsula.

Having experienced private flying in business I am undecided whether to go the VH route or LSA. As I understand the present situation the medical required for VH is the same whether you fly private or commercial and might decide matters: no good going for something that eventually will stop you flying completely. The UK go for a truck medical for the Private Pilots ticket. Sort of half-way house between car medical (for LSA) and the Australian Private Pilot requirement, unless someone can correct me?

Kindest regards,

Chris Rhoades

G'day Chris & welcome.

Not a bad spot you have chosen to spend your future years.

For the reasons you have mentioned and the fact that there are some great aircraft available in the RAA register, I reckon you would be crazy going GA ...... but there are others on the forum that fly both and are more qualified to comment.

There is also some exciting potential for changes to the GA & RAA Regs here in the reasonable future, the details of which might enhance one or both of the categories .... perhaps 700 kg potential MTOW for RAA and maybe self regulation & relaxation of some regs for GA.

Regards Geoff

The private pilot medical for GA is nowhere near as comprehensive as the commercial one. As long as you are reasonable healthy you will pass !! I don't mind doing it anyway as it is an enforced medical checkup every couple of years which can't be a bad thing.

Guest Chris Rhoades

Hi IanR,

I presently have to undergo a heavy truck licence medical in the UK but am mindful that, yes, I pass the first two or three GA medicals, but if for any reason I fail one-even though I am safe to drive a car-I will not be able to fly anything because of the revocation.

Also, the new breed of LSA appear on paper to have better performance than a C172 or PA28-161. I could also buy a new LSA for the price of a 30 year old GA.

Just a thought.

Chris

Guest Chris Rhoades

Hi Chris,

We do not have any family anywhere in Aus, our two sons will be in the UK.

We chose Kadina because of the weather, my wife has asthma, the mediterranean climate is what she needs without the language difficulties or apparent animosity from the locals. We love Aus and the Australians.

Thanks for replying,

Chris