Home-build from plans

Guest gosk8ing

Guest gosk8ing

Hi,

I'm interested in building a plane from plans. I'm 6'2" so that knocks out a lot of them. Also I want the plane to be made mostly out of sheetmetal. I have come down to two aircraft. The Sonerai 1 and the Thatcher CX4. I've been told the CX4 can fit a 6'2" pilot without modification and the Sonerai 1 can with slight modification to the seat I think.

Has anyone had any experience with either of them?

Thanks

Guest gosk8ing

The other reason why I was considering the Sonerai and Thatcher CX4 is because they use a VW engine.

I want something that has low operating costs.

I've looked at the Hornet; I really like it but they only sell it in kit form - no plans.

Murohy Redel is kit too.

Thanks

Makes sense.

Keep it reliable. The thing that seems to give a bit of trouble is the single drive key at the front of the crankshaft. Cracks happen. Can't really help you with the plans kit as there are really not many sheetmetal planes to choose from. Can you still get the EAA yearbook? It's very comprehensive. Nev

Sonerai & CX 4

You can get first hand info re the two homebuilts from Kevin Wintergreen in Perth. He's plans-built one of each (along with a couple of RVs and a Hummelbird) recently. Matter of fact, have just been advised that the CX4 is for sale. Call him (mob nr 042 722 5600) and I'm sure he'd willingly answer any of your queries.

cheers

Guest gosk8ing
What about a Zenith CH--601, CH-701 or CH-750. There is a four-seat CH-801 as well. The Zenith aircraft factory sells plans for their sheet metal aircraft. See: http://www.zenithair.com/stolch750/data/750-flyer-1440.pdf for a summary of some of them.

I've looked through the Zenith range. But there are a couple of problems. The bigger the plane, the more it's going to cost to build and run. The increase in cost is usually from the bigger engine. For example, the Sonerai uses a VW engine which is about $7,500AUD new. A lot of these planes use a Rotax 912 which is closer to the $25,000AUD mark. There's a $17,500 increase just in the engine. The extra cost for the bigger airframe usually isn't much. Also, the bigger the plane, the harder it is to built from plans because they require more parts and forming blocks ect. You get the picture.

I know people have used VW engines in CH-601/701 ect but I think it would be very under powered.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

You might consider an obscure Polish design called the J-1b, this aircraft has the pilot in a reclined position, much like the arrangement of a glider, I'm tall myself, which is why I have chosen this aircraft.

I'm building two of these in fact, one for me, the other for my partner who is a great deal shorter than me.

Regards,

James.