February 2007

Admin

Guest David C

An Ikarus C42 , pictured at my "old " airfield back in England , Wolverhampton Business Airport , formerly Halfpenny Green , last October .

Dave

Ironbridge Gorge

This pic is for DavidC taken over the Ironbridge Gorge, Shropshire. David will know all of this but this area depicts the home of the Industrial revolution. The bridge was constructed entirely of cast steel and assembled by wooden wedges. The original foundries are still in the area and a original village is still working. David, I landed at the Microlight strip at Shifnal behind RAF Cosford, Wolverhampton. I also flew a CT2k whilst there. If visiting the UK the area is worth a visit as RAF Cosford; the museum is awesome.

Pic quality not that good sorry..

Paul

528711574_Ironbridgegorge.jpg.d4607884828cf1c93edf9375b72ca3f8.jpg

Guest David C

Zulu 1

Yes , I know the area very well . I was born , raised and lived most of my adult life in Stourbridge , not far from all the locations you mentioned . I have visited the museum at RAF Cosford , it is awesome . I have also flown in the Goodyear Airship from there many years ago.... I must try and find the pictures and post them here . Thanks for your thoughts ...

Dave

SA National Champs 2005

The final flypast of the winners of the SA National Championships 2005 with Johannesburg in the background, my colleague is a dual citizen SA mother Australian Father now from Cairns 3rd in row.

Last post for February, next month: Boer war battlefields.

Cheers Paul

1984564006_SAChamps.jpg.e00678aa363484e04a75955ec8d2d9fd.jpg

SOLO INITIATION IN CERTAIN OVERSEAS COUNTRIES IS BASED ON STRONG TRIBAL RITES

MY%20PICTURES%20IMG%200951[ATTACH]1453[/ATTACH]

IT WON'T HAPPEN OVERNIGHT BUT IT WILL HAPPEN!

MR PANTENE EAT YOUR HEART OUT.024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

IMG_0951.JPG.039283805a0d6a7c61a931d4eb43ac1a.JPG

PRIDE OF ACHIEVEMENT

[ATTACH]1454[/ATTACH]

OH SHUCKS IS WAS NOTHING, I KNEW THAT I WOULD EVENTUALLY GET IT BACK ON THE GROUND, THIS TIME, WITHOUT BENDING IT TOO MUCH BUT I JUST DIDN'T SEE THAT DAM WATER TANK.

IMG_0956.JPG.a01b9a5185224f78ab59acc8caf1155e.JPG

THE INSTRUCTOR'S LAMENT

[ATTACH]1455[/ATTACH]

IT'S NOT YOUR TURN IT'S MY TURN, YOU SAT IN IT YESTERDAY.

OK! BUT PLEASE BEHAVE AND I MIGHT EVEN LET YOU START THE ENGINE TOMORROW, ONCE THE MECHANICS HAVE REMOVED THE POLLY TANK MATERIAL FROM THE PROP AND PUT THE ENGINE WHERE IT BELONGS, BACK AT THE FRONT OF THE PLANE.:black_eye:

IMG_0947.JPG.850689a88751e46afc582b60998fee87.JPG

Guest Fred Bear

Gosh, there are some familiar pics from familiar places this month! Here is one from Hoxton Park today. Thanks to Dave C for the ride this time! Good to just look out the window for once...

New Cessna Skylane Glass Cockpit YHOX NSW 24th Feb 2007:

Magic pic's Darren.

Maybe you can send me a PM on how to shrink my pic's to a size that is capable of reproduction in this forum as I have many beautiful pic's of planes and places in the Philippines that I would like to share with those who have an interest in far away places.

As an aside, the Lambada is very happy in it's new home as is the owner with it.

Regards,

rick-p

Guest Fred Bear

Thanks Rick. Aaah, you have Gerry Lambada? Well, used to be Gerrys anyway? Beautiful machine that one mate! I will PM you shortly with instructions on putting images up here.:)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest S Ross

CONGRATULATIONS this month go to ZULU1, (with that many entries, his chances weren't bad) for the great shot of the line-up of trikes. 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif 011_clap.gif.8adfe837b4189ee6622bf4917d6a88c0.gif 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

Zulu, you've won February's Australian Flying Photo Competition, so reply with your postal address and I'll organise your complimentary issues to be sent out over the next six months.

Well done also, to Geoff of Mildura for his shots of the Eurofighter Typhoon trying to climb onboard the C130. Incredible!

Sincere thanks to everyone who entered this month - you all seem to be enjoying one another's photos, which is what it's all about.

Safe flying,

Shelley

Many Thanks for the prize !!

Hello all

Glad they were enjoyed;

I enjoyed submitting those pics, especially the Balloon shot over the Valley of the Kings in Egypt. That was 100 years of flight and I had to do something. Even if it was ballooning.

I have almost completed a photo journal of the major Boer war battle sites. Maybe you would be interested if i posted some pics or sent you for your magazine ??

My address is :

Paul Lintott

PO Box 681

Ballito,

KZN

South Africa

And for info my trike is registered ZU-LU I

Many Thanks

Paul

Zulu1.thumb.jpg.05c84f091f0afaf363d62a10440ebf96.jpg

Hi Paul.

Congratulations and keep them coming.

In reference to the Boer War, your statement that Australia was not involved is very wrong and potentially offensive to many families. The Australian War Memorial site has some good information here.

Some 12,000 soldiers signed up from the 6 colonies, and after 1901 as a combined force of the new Commonwealth, and many more signed up for British or South African forces in South Africa.

I know you didn't mean to offend, just setting the record straight.

Ross

Wasn't Breaker Morant in the Boer War - you know the innocent Aussie soldier that was made an escape goat by the British Forces and put in front of a firing squad?

Might as well complete the thread hijack - from the War Memorial site:

It is generally believed that 16,175 Australians fought in the Boer War, though this does not allow for double-counting of those who served in two contingents. There was also an unknown number of Australians already working on South Africa's goldfields who served in local units, and a small number of Australians are known to have fought on the Boer side. The nature of the conditions under which the war was fought can be deduced from the fact that 251 died in action or from wounds sustained in battle, while 267 died from disease. A further 43 men were reported missing. Five Australians received the VC in South Africa and many others received other decorations.

16,175 is a very large proportion of the adult male population of Australia at that time. A great contribution to mother England - undeserving as she and the cause may have been.Some of England's greatest defeats early in that war (before the Aussies got there) was due to the usual "throw men straight at them" mentality. That's what killed so many Aussies 2 decades later at Gallipoli.

Sorry about that..

I certainly didnt mean to offend, but you are correct...I have only done the Natal "bit" and realised about Breaker Morant, wife got the book. This was the rest of the country. I realised that a few Canadians and Americans were also involved. The Irish fought on the side of the Boers as did the French, Italians, Swedes, Germans and other mercenaries.

My wife is a descendant of the Irish bit...(nee Mc Elhone)

So if all are happy I will start a few pics (with no prizes intended but for the forums benefit).

Dont know where to place them can someone advise ?

Cheers Paul

Guest Fred Bear

"This is a community announcement. Your ultralight FEB 2007 thread has been hijacked. Stay tuned for further instructions" ;)