Thinking about changing...

Hey everyone,

Well after flying the Jabiru around for about 40 odd hours I'm starting to want to fly another aircraft (I still have feelings for the Jabiru though! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif) approaching my x-country endorsement now and as much as the Jabiru is an ideal candidate for it I really want to move into my schools Skyfox Gazelle or Skyfox CA21 (tailwheel Gazelle). I've flown both and I'm actually amazed at the climb performance and how well they handle, they actually seem to do what they're told 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif It would be some additional endorsements to fly them, low performance & tailwheel (for the CA21) The tailwheel endorsement is something that I've wanted to get from the beginning because of the great ultralights that are tailwheel.

What are your opinions on the switch?

-Andrew

Switching from jabiru to Gazelle etc.

You are going in the opposite direction to most. The Gazelle would have to be one of the easiest to fly planes that I have ever flown.. It is very forgiving and controls well in gusts etc, and easy to land. (handles a fairly big crosswind.)

The Skyfox as a tailwheel is a worthwhile experience, for while it is a slightly lighter version of the Gazelle and flys much the same, it can be interesting during the landing roll, especially if there is little headwind or a tailwind (which I do not recommend).. If you master it you won't have too much of a problem with most other tailwheels.

On a hot day and at weights near the Max, the Gazelle doesn't have a lot of climb ability if you want to get above 3 or 4 thousand feet . It's a different aircraft at lighter weights. Nev

I couldn't comment on the merits of the two planes you are talking about but I do wonder if any change is wise unless you are a very confident, born navigator. I'm just about to start my navs after a delay of a few months. I didn't want to be thinking too much about flying a new to me aircraft while I'm trying to acquire another skill.My plan is to eventually fly everything I can get my hands on, just for the fun of it, but for the moment, I'll concentrate on being able to get from A to B.

That sounds like good advice Andrew, get the navs out of the way, in a a/c you are familiar with.Then get checked out on as many a/c that you would like, but being checked out is alot different to being current.The Savage Cub for me was number 9, but only current in 4. 3 of them being different model Tecnams that fly very similar to each other. It can become a hassle, i mean to stay current, i alternate between them.Well i was, but the Cub being a sort of plane that you have to fly regularly to stay current and comfortable in.I am just going to fly that for a while.And not worry about flying the Teccys.I hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice everyone, speed and difficulty to fly isn't an issue for me. I'm happy to fly and learn how to fly anything. The cost of my x-country endorsement is gonna be pretty hefty and I'd be doing probably 1 nav a month which I'm sure isn't enough to keep in the loop. I may have to hold off for a while on the x-country stuff

3hrs at $155 an hour = $465 & it's very hard for me to come up with $465 every 2 weeks or so.

I say, go for it!!

I reckon my flying improved quite dramatically after I hit a few other types.

Was contemplating in taking a Gazelle for a fly the other day actually just to see what it is like.

Savvanah is another aircraft that is pretty easy to fly - will have to wait till I fly the Gazelle before a comparison is made though.

Nav's are costly like you said, but you have the idea - try and save up enough to get you through a significant amount first, before you start them. I know people that started, but couldn't continue due the cost for sometime, I reckon you tend to lose the momentum a bit that way.

As for changing to a different aircraft to do it as Blackrod mentions - personally I had no issue, I went from a Drifter to a Jab for my Nav's, I actually couldn't even land the Jab properly on the first couple of Nav's.

CA-21 skyfox has the aeropower engine with the prop spinning the wrong way and very easy to fly, lacks a little tail authority in the flair so could get interesting. CA-22 skyfox was the rotax powered with a slightly larger tail and extra horsepower coupled with that pidgeon-towed undercarriage is a recipe for some interesting landings and a lot of fun..they ruined a good little aeroplane when they built the gazelle..as for changing planes to do your cross countries...go for it, you have an instructor with you and it really is hardly rocket science..good luck and above all...have fun

Thanks for your inputs,

My CFI has gone against the idea of me changing to the Gazelle/Fox for my navs so I had a look around and I've decided to take a look at the Texan Top Class at Serpentine and possibly fly that for my navs. It's $10 more expensive than the Jabiru per hour and looks like a nicer aeroplane, not to mention I'll get some experience flying out of a bitumen strip before I actually start my navs.

-Andrew

I also support the swapping types / makes / models approach. Broadens the experience base and adds a bit of interest.. (Suggested that theory to the missus once; didnt go over well...)

We usually do our basic training in J160, then for navexes we swap all students to one of our J230s. Even though they are all Jabirus, the characteristics are quite different.

Also, when students are no longer students and want to private hire to go away for a day or more, they are likely to go for the J230; the hire rate per NM is actually less than the J160 and they get there earlier!

Also, for those moving on to GA, the J230 is closer in handling to the heavier GA a/c.

• 4 weeks later...
CA-21 skyfox has the aeropower engine with the prop spinning the wrong way and very easy to fly, lacks a little tail authority in the flair so could get interesting. CA-22 skyfox was the rotax powered with a slightly larger tail and extra horsepower coupled with that pidgeon-towed undercarriage is a recipe for some interesting landings and a lot of fun..they ruined a good little aeroplane when they built the gazelle..as for changing planes to do your cross countries...go for it, you have an instructor with you and it really is hardly rocket science..good luck and above all...have fun

Sorry for this delayed response but I noticed your comment about the CA21, our CA21 has a Rotax motor and the prop spins clockwise from a cockpit view.

-Andrew

Guest rocketdriver

Personally, I would go for the Skyfox for the tail wheel endorsement and experience. It will take you more hours to complete your navs etc, but if you can fly the CA21 well , I reckon you can fly anything. Also, IMHO, taildraggers almost invariably fly nicer ...... (I can hear the incoming already!!)

• 2 weeks later...