Check Flights

Scooby

Just out of curiosity, I was reading about aircraft hire. I'm still a while away until i have to worry about it but most airfields require a check flight before you hire. I'm just wondering whats involved in that.

Any info would be appreciated, Thanks.

Scoob

Check flight at new airfield.

Nothing is stipulated as far as I know, although "normal" caution/care would indicate the necessity of doing something in the way of an actual flight test. If the school wants to make extra money or has a very cautious approach then it could entail a dual X- country even, as I was required to do by one school at Bankstown many years ago. It's one of those "how long is a piece of string" questions. IF an instructor cannot assess a pilot's competency with 2 or three circuits with some unusuals thrown in and a few questions and produce a satisfactory flight plan , then maybe the question of the instructor's competency is called into question o( refer to line #2.) .Nev

G'day Scooby,

I can only tell you from what i have had to do with the different airfields i have visited,

first time i went out for a check ride with the CFI, he gave me a brief of the local area, what A/C to expect to see, local freq's etc. then he put me through my paces and got me to demonstrate a stall and recovery, engine failure, flapless landing a couple touch and go's etc. all the while he was checking my radio use, ability to keep a vigilant watch out. maintain seperation etc. It is nothing to worry about, he/she is just checking your ability to fly/handle the aircraft and make sure your not going to break it if you take it out on your own.

At another place i went i had to fill out endless amounts of paper work, go for two check flights, then fill out a technical data sheet for each Aircraft i wanted to borrow,

from my experience, just fly the aircraft how you have been taught, ask any questions that you might have with the CFI.

Good luck and hope this helps

Hey Scooby,

I've done half a dozen or so check flights now at different schools - some go the full hog and want you to do a X-country (didn't end up finishing it at that school because of that reason, it would have made the exercise way to expensive - so just went elsewhere).

I did one just this weekend gone actually at a new school, and in a Tecnam (new aircraft), Just went through the aircraft systems, how and what etc...

Then went up in the aircraft doing various things - stall, emergency procedures, a few landings, nil flap landing. About half an hour - I was familiar with the aerodrome also, which helps a lot.

Another place I went too, just flicked through my log book, then we went out to the aircraft, he watched me preflight, we jumped in, did a circuit - then he said "that'll do, you'll make a fine pilot". And that was that!

Check flights, and type conversions - or both, aren't hard, just showing your ability to be confident, and in control of the aircraft I believe.

Go and do it just to enhance your knowledge, as each instructor shows you something a little different etc... well worth it I reckon.

Thanks Tomo, The info you gave me was great. Although i am and will do all the training i can at Caboolture, i live closer to Redcliffe Airfield and i have heard they are pretty strict with check flights, which is understandable. It's good to get the info from someone who's done it. Anyway, Thank you for your help, much appreciated.

Thanks Tomo, The info you gave me was great. Although i am and will do all the training i can at Caboolture, i live closer to Redcliffe Airfield and i have heard they are pretty strict with check flights, which is understandable. It's good to get the info from someone who's done it. Anyway, Thank you for your help, much appreciated.

No worries Scooby.

Yes stick with Crezzy, he'll get you sorted! :big_grin:

Being strict is a good thing though, but sometimes you just have to be ready for it at some places! :ah_oh: 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Yes for sure. It's a bit pre-mature of me to be asking this sort of question. Since taking up flying, i get a bit excited with ambitions. But yes your right, between Crezzi with the trikes and Zane Tully at Pro sky Caboolture, i'm pretty well looked after. The only thing i regret is not taking it up sooner. Ah well, i'm 34 so i haven't left it too late. This forum is a God send as well, I will learn alot from it.

Thanks again Tomo,

Troy

I've hired a few from differant companies around the country.

Some are happy to just do a couple of circuits with a engine out test but I did hire one out of sydney (90hour hire) that almost wanted to do a full flight test and x country endorsement. He got a little shock when he did his weight and balance calculations and discovered that with a moderate tank of fuel in the Jab 160 he was going to need to weigh less than 30kg to sit on the right hand side. lol.

The amount of paperwork he wanted me to fill out took about 2 hours.

I was just glad that the actual owner knew that I could actually pilot a jab and decided to override the CFI as it would have been a expensive waste of time and money travelling to sydney to pick up the plane. Needless to say the GA CFI wasn't happy as he didn't get his extra couple of hours of dual time.

The Jab turned out to be the best example I have ever flown and had a ball circling the country. Plane ended up a differant school at the end of the trip. lol

Oh and yes.. My original instructer was the el-presentadenta who I am sure couldn't weigh more than 55kg.

Thanks Gibbo, to do a full flight test with a x country for a check flight is a bit over the top, but i hear alot do it. Talking about weight, i'm flying trikes at the moment and we have a MTOW of 445 kgs. Now i'm 102 kgs, (which is really pushin the limits ) front seat load is 55-100kgs. With the CFI in the back and 45 litres of juice were at MTOW. (CFI is about 70kgs). Anyway, Thanks for posting,

Cheers, Scoob

Currency or Proficiency Checks

The CFI has to satisfy both their insurers, (that they have hired the aircraft to a competent and current pilot), and the 'powers-that-be', (that they have exercised a duty-of-care). Each CFI views their responsibilities differently - which is why pilots encounter differing requirements around Australia.

If a pilot is only looking for a local flight hire - then nav competency probably isn't so important, but local knowledge is. So - a circuit check plus a comprehansive 'local' brief should suffice. But, if you plan to head off thru the centre of Oz, do Cape York and the Kimberleys in the 'wet'......... maybe the CFI is justified in looking at your nav and planning skills. Horses for courses!

happy days,

The owner was able to see my point of things.. And I suspect that the CFI wasn't happy with losing the plane due to relatively low hours.

The fact that I had clocked up over 100 hours of very remote NAV time in the past six months was not taken into account (210 in total over 18mths leading up to it) and this concerned the owner (who had a chat with a couple of well known and respected CFI's that I have flown with, before he would even consider the hire).

A check flight is a fairly simple thing and I still do one every couple of months at Tooradin just to make sure that I am still doing the right things and I do find the engine out practices etc fun. For the record I have completed 21 check flights in the past two and a half years since I got my ticket with nine differant CFI's who all do things their own way.

Oh yes.. I do beat you on the weight factor by a considerable margin.. 136kg so most tube and rag are out for me. I have been bumped from the allocated back seat by a pilot before on a very full flight from Brisbane to Windorah before with sMACk air.

There is not real standard but they do have to make sure everything is above board.. Read the TRUST thread.