g p s info wanted

hi one and all

just wondering is it posible to buy a regular car g p s and then load it with australian flying maps and use as an aircraft g p s , or is better to just stick to an aircraft g p s eg garmin 96 c

cheers for now mr badger:nerd:

Guest davidh10

I guess it all depends on what you expect out of the GPS.

If you want the added features of an aviation GPS that shows and warns you of terrain and CTA, plus gives you lookup of airfields, runway and frequency info as well as runway alignment, RNAV and VNAV, bank indicator, track vs heading for destination, etc, then get a Garmin Aera 500 or 550. I'm very happy with my 550. Both these units are dual boot as aviation or automotive (includes bicycle and walking modes).

If you don't want the aviation features, then I guess a terrestrial GPS is what is left, and yes, you can add your own waypoints or even obtain waypoint files from various sources that give you aerodrome locations. My question would be how much do you trust the source of the info. In the Garmin aviation GPS units, the aviation info is supplied by Jeppesen, who are well respected in the industry... and they sometimes get info wrong.

If you are leaning to the car GPS... I'd recommend meeting up with someone who has a real aviation GPS and checking out the differences for yourself.

While the aviation ones seem expensive, IMHO, you get what you pay for :)

• 2 months later...

On the other hand

If you want the added features of an aviation GPS that shows

You are using Airservices Maps! They show terrain and CTA. The GPS's can show waypoints/airfields.

lookup of runway and frequency info as well as runway alignment, RNAV and VNAV, bank indicator

Otherwise would have to look at a book or read the T&B

track vs heading for destination

All there on the el cheapo

My question would be how much do you trust the source of the info. In the Garmin aviation GPS units, the aviation info is supplied by Jeppesen, who are well respected in the industry... and they sometimes get info wrong.

The el cheapos use maps from Airservices ... at least as good a Jeppesen? What's on screen is what's on the paper!

No contest .... get Slarti to help you out. Spend the savings on a weekend away somewhere nice with the wife

Guest Kevin the Penniless

Personally, I use a Garmin 255W (car GPS) in off road mode. It works a treat. A pilot doesn't need these maps and things in a GPS. The Garmin draws a pink line between my waypoints and I leave a blue line as I fly. It's cheap and reliable GPS navigation (< $300). You can quickly see where you are relative to your track and check points and then after your trip, display the route flown over a Google Earth map. Neat stuff. The Garmin does not use nautical miles but a small conversion chart is all you need (90kts = 167kms etc) placed somewhere handy. Then, when you get to your destination, you can use the GPS to find your way around there while on the ground.

You could look around for an old 96C - like I used to have.

They do road and air.

They also have the aviation database in them.

Dunno their price but I'd guess around the $500 now.

The C is for COLOUR screen. I've seen the 96's. They are ok, but I think the colour helps. Up to you though.

• 3 weeks later...